UPDATE: 6 Week Old Walking Odd - Euthanized today 5/10

ItsAZOO32

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Titusville, Fl.
I have a 6 week old mixed chick that has been fine. A couple of days ago I noticed that she was taking longer than normal strides and almost losing her balance for a moment in the walking. Looks like she's walking through taller grass. I've been keeping an eye on her and she is eating and drinking but when the flock stop to pick and eat she lays down and finds food by her. I checked the feet and legs.. no obvious sign of anything. No other symptoms that I can see. I will try to get a video. Could it just be a vitamin issue or something since it's only one chick out of 7?

81805_lawless6weeksclose.jpg

This is her
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok here is a video.

She is the black one in the middle of everyone.. obviously.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hello, ItsAZOO32. I see you've gotten no responses yet. I have limited chicken experience so unfortunately I don't know what is happening with your hen. If you want to try vitamins, I use Poultry Nutri-Drench, added to their water. I used this when my hen lost a good deal of weight as a reaction to some antibiotics I gave her. I now routinely add this to my chickens' water a couple of times a week. My local Tractor Supply carries it - here is a link with more information. http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-health/livestock-supplements/multi-animal-supplements/poultry-nutri-drench-4-oz--2202048
Good
luck to you, and I hope someone comes along soon with some advice for you.

Quote:
Thanks a LOT for your response... I added Sav-A-Chic to the water tonight. I figured it wouldn't hurt them to get the electrolytes and vitamins from that. I will look into a general vitamin supplement I can add regularly. I hope this helps. She's such a sweet girl and my hubby's favorite. Maybe someone else will have some insight too..

Hey everyone.. I am still looking for help here. I have added Sav A Chic to the water and always have ACV. Nothing different really. She is walking like she is doing lunges and her legs are weak. She stumbles sometimes but otherwise is keeping up just fine with everyone else. She is eating and behaving the same. She does lay down and graze while the others are standing in an area. She is seriously my husbands favorite and I just can't imagine how awful he would feel if something happens to her. These babies haven't been around other birds and were hatched at my home.

Thanks in advance for the help

The good new is it is not walking backward with its head down. I would lean toward vitamin issue or neurological problem. Have you checked its vision in both eyes? Thats the best I got from what I can see in the video. Maybe this bump with get you some more help.

Quote:
I've looked her over pretty well. From what I can see she is physically fine and I think the vision is ok too. Can a neurological problem just crop up in a 6 week old? She's been fine until this week.

Thanks for the help and the bump
wink.png

Quote:
I've looked her over pretty well. From what I can see she is physically fine and I think the vision is ok too. Can a neurological problem just crop up in a 6 week old? She's been fine until this week.

Thanks for the help and the bump
wink.png

what do you feed them?

The video clearly shows there's a problem and I share your concern. I hesitated to respond because I don't have any help to offer.
sad.png
The best I can do is give you a bump and hope that someone who's more knowledgeable about health issues will see it. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom