Update and Lingering ??'s - please read

farmsister

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 1, 2007
Washougal, WA
Ok, I had posted the other day and a few of you were so gracious and kind to respond.

Here is the link to that post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=103019

I've
taken photos of her today. Last night I held her for quite a while and gave her a little massage of the crop and her back. She kept her eyes closed and leaned against me. Today, she was hopping around quite a bit and making lots of noise. I went to check on her mid morning and she had laid what I believe to be her first egg, it is sandpapery feeling and small.

Her tail feathers are back up, she is alert, eating, drinking, still runny poo but....

Her feet are still weird, like she has club feet. You can see in the pictures what I'm talking about. She doesn't have all the symptoms of anything.

With all that do you all have any other ideas or guesses? Hmmm...

Thank you all in advance for your support and caring.

1900_p1030030.jpg

1900_p1030031.jpg

1900_p1030032.jpg

That's either a hatching defect or something genetic...My crowing hen Slifer had one straight toe, but she got around fine.

You could try massage and gentle stretching of the toes to see if they might straighten, but as long as she can run around, I wouldn't worry about it.

She's a lovely lady.

I feel for the poor girl. It looks like an injury, I'm guessing.

I'd be making her a house-chicken for a while and looking for a chicken vet, but I'm in love with my girls and they are my pets.

Best of luck!

The curled foot thing goes from one left foot to right foot. She cannot stand for very long, she kind of just slides down to rest on her hocks. She stretches her legs out and her toes when she is laying down, but really can't stand and run or walk on her feet.

I picked her back up tonight and her crop is puffy again, soft but it feels like it is filled with fluid. I massaged it and it went down again a little bit. I just don't know.

She hasn't been treated for Mareks, or anything else other than the medicated starter feed they were on.

Aw geez, I hope she gets better, she is such a sweet girl.

She does look like a sweetie. Keep pampering her and maybe she can pull out of it. Maybe she got bit by something?
How long has this been going on? How old is she?
Good luck with your girl.
fl.gif

~Rebecca

My girl is about 5 months old and this just started Wednesday night of last week.

I am going to try giving her some baby aspirin diluted in water and some vitamins and hope she pulls out of it I think.

Thank you so muchh for the for the well wishes.

Back
Top Bottom