UPDATE:Angel wing? Or just awkward growth spurt? NEW PICS

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
So, I did a search on Angel Wing on this forum and came up with lots and lots of opinions and such.

When ducks go thru the awkward growing into their feathers stage, can they look like this? The wings are not sticking out, they just don't have feathers on them. Has anyone had this type of thing and NOT taped....I did notice one post that said her husband talked her into waiting for a week before taping and by that time the wings were fine, and my wings look just like her wings did. Not sure......

PLEASE tell me it isn't Angel Wing!
smile.png
Please??

angelWingaug134.jpg

angelWingaug133.jpg

angelWingaug131.jpg

They are five week old Cayugas.

Thanks!!!

EDITED TO ADD:

My Cayugas are now almost 8 weeks old and now look at them! This is what they look like now with NO wrapping. I am so impressed with this forum....it was nice to get all the reassurance from you guys. I am so happy that they are just fine.

Not only that....look at their beautiful coloring! I just love them!

colors3.jpg

colors.jpg

colors4.jpg

colors1.jpg

colors2.jpg

Again....I appreciate all the responses I got from my first post.

Last edited:
Quote:
When my Muscovy duckling was going through that stage I was a nervous wreck, I thought for sure he was going to have angel wing because he looked just like that. But now at 10 weeks his feathers are all grown in and they are fine. Evendently at the stage yours are in they are becoming heavy and hard to hold up, just be sure to continue to give them the nician I used brewers yeast still do, and watch the protein, I cut the Flock raiser with oats. Hope this helps.

I had a similar scare with Peepers my indoor snowy mallard, she ended up being just fine. she still had baby fuzz on her back so it exaggerated the look of her incoming wing feathers.

Yup ,my muscovy drake went threw that phase too. I was p*ssing my self cause I thought he got angel wing.

His wing grew perfectly fine ,and went back to normal once his ither wing feathers grew a bit more.
smile.png

If their wings grow outward on the tips just a tad its pointing to angel wing-cut the protein levels-feed lots of dark greens-nip it right in the bud-Been through it 6 times and it's worked like a charm every time:)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

I was soooo hoping to get responses back like this.

Dumb question...I think I asked this before....but.....OATMEAL? Like Quaker Oats that my kids eat for breakfast. Just give them half and half with their food? When should I start giving them the big kid food, with 18%?

This is all SOOO confusing.........I never ever EVER would have believed owning ducks was such a science....lol....and so stressful and obsessive and......LOVING!
big_smile.png

So happpy....thanks so much for the positive responses. I had a hard time thinking it was angel wing....I thought it was just a juvenile awkward stage.

Love them!

Keep in mind those are new growing feathers, so each shaft is full of a blood supply... so it might be heavier than a full grown feather, you know? So for a few days they dangle a bit til the muscles catch up. Such a gawky stage.

Quote:
You can buy oats in 50lbs bags at TSC or you can just use regular old fashioned oats not instant. Then the ratio would be 2 parts flock raiser and 1 part oats to get around a 16% ration.

What you are seeing are the new growing blood feathers, perfectly normal at this stage. Once those are in, if you are seeing tips hanging out, then you have Angel wing. However, I've seen some sort of droopy wings (farther along than those) that were fine on their own later. The new feathers, as mentioned, are heavier than they will be when they are mature and the wing muscles are weaker. I don't see anything to worry about, pretty babies!

Back
Top Bottom