4 month old muscovy duck with drooping wings

Minusthebuff

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
Hello all! Hope I'm doing this right :)

I've noticed one of my young ducks both of it's wings have been drooping, to the point where the tips will drag on the ground when it walks around. I think this has been going on for almost a week now (I haven't been home enough to notice and no one else on the farm has paid attention to the little fella). The duck's been eating/drinking, pooping, and acting normal. It has not flown yet unlike its sibling, but it will run around and flap its wings. None of the other ducks have had this wing problem either.

Anyone have any ideas? I've read other forums on here and I've seen it's either early signs of angel wing, or just heavy blood feathers coming in.

White one with black helmet (Cheese) is droopy wing one, black & white one (Burger) is the sibling who's wings are fine.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20231202_131640707.jpg
    PXL_20231202_131640707.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20231202_132429152.jpg
    PXL_20231202_132429152.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20231202_132428327.jpg
    PXL_20231202_132428327.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 15
They can get so heavy with blood especially the drakes that their wings will droop so that just might be the problem I have seen my Muscovy drakes do this when their flight feathers are full of blood. That looks pretty extreme although it doesn't look like Angel is starting. Does he try lifting them up and putting them where they should be? this is what I have seen they will droop then they will lift them in normal position then back to drooping this is actually getting the wing muscles strong enough to hold the wings once they are fully grown in.

They can get so heavy with blood especially the drakes that their wings will droop so that just might be the problem I have seen my Muscovy drakes do this when their flight feathers are full of blood. That looks pretty extreme although it doesn't look like Angel is starting. Does he try lifting them up and putting them where they should be? this is what I have seen they will droop then they will lift them in normal position then back to drooping this is actually getting the wing muscles strong enough to hold the wings once they are fully grown in.
Yes he does try lifting/putting them back into place, but they do end up sliding back downwards.

Will this stay until his muscles get stronger then? I'll be sure to keep an eye on him, in the meantime is there anything I can do to help him out or is it jsut a matter of waiting for the wings to get strong? Thank you!

Waiting for the wing muscles to get strong. Nothing we can do it's all up to him. But hopefully, this will start getting better soon as the muscles strengthen. You've seen how long the wing span is on these drakes that takes alot of strength to hold them up. Make sure your feeding a good well rounded diet and not a lot of treats. Let us know when he finally gets them to stay put where their suppose to be. :welcome

He will keep practicing by flapping his wings -- my drakes do it every morning as soon as they get out of the coop. The also occasionally do it running up and down the back garden. I haven't had a boy fly off yet -- the fat lumps know where the easy food is!!! So, I tease them saying "are you practicing for leaving home?" But seriously, flapping his wings will strengthen those wing muscles until he can hold them up, in place

Some of my young Muscovy ducks had the same droopy wing. It did self correct as they got older and stronger. My younger ducks come running out of the coop each morning, then flap around the run each morning. The older ducks look at them as if they are idiots.
I don't know how old are your older ducks but mine in their third year still do it. Some of it is drake bravado. Some of it is habit. And some of it might be "if only these things would work properly I might go and look for a mate". But they don't leave home when the gate is left open as they are more interested in food and nosing in my patio windows than anything else

Back
Top Bottom