UPDATE: Are these chicks australorps or something else?

Thanks for all the idea's! the hatchery they're from doesn't have any black jersey giants so don't think thats it. Their legs are black but a few of them have one toe that's yellow and the other two black and then there's some that all toes and legs are black. kinda strange. Their bellies are more yellowish than white also. This is the hatcheries website if you all want to look and see if theirs other options that I hadn't considered.
http://www.dunlaphatchery.net/Standards.aspx
I do know they're not bantams since the feed store got the "hatchery choice straight run" special they have under the standard chickens. They are pretty cute though and are doing just great so whatever they are they're healthy. Let me know what you all think. Thanks,
Kjersti

VERY sure those are blk australorps...I have two babies in the brooder in the kitchen
tongue.png
I also have barred rock babies and blk sexlinks, that just moved outside. You have some gorgeous australorps!!!
clap.gif
jumpy.gif

They look too dark to be australorps - mine all had yellow on their heads and bellies - looked like little penguins. Out of the 3 types you named, they look most like black sexlinks to me, although maybe they are something else altogether (definitely not barred rocks).

These are australorp babies under the hen (she also took care of a light brahma and barred rock chick, but they are not pictured in these first two pics).
newlyhatchedchicks0052.jpg

Flash makes the chick look white - they were all black/yellow.
newlyhatchedchicks0022.jpg

When the australorps first started getting feathers, they all got little white ones in their wings (see pic below), then black feathers also and eventually lost the white ones.

newBRs-EEs029.jpg

they look like the 2 australorps that I got from the feed store one has alot of yellow/white on the face and belly the other not so much I also got 2 black star sex-links and they have no white on them just black and copper so i would say australorp MHO

They seem like maybe they're Australorps because they act like they're straight run. They're a week old today and there's a few that are already bigger and a lot more bold than the rest of the shy, petite ones. Like the bold ones are already sizing up the waterer and trying to fly up there lol. They also walk around with their necks more stretched like a rooster if that makes any sense . I noticed the same things last time we had straight run RIR's. But it could just be personality I suppose. I wonder if the individual strain of Australorp makes a difference in the amount of white they have? The hatcheries website says they've developed their own strain of black australorps since the early 1900's when they first were a business so i wonder if that's maybe why the different australorps in pictures look different because each hatchery has their own?

All mine are not the same as far as the white/yellow amount. There's one in particular that only has it on her belly and none on her chest; the others have varying amounts on their chest and bellies. It's interesting for sure I'm looking forward to getting the 13 I know are black sex links tomorrow so I can compare.
Kjersti

The verdict is in
smile.png
they're black sex links. They're identical to the ones we got today. The good news is they're all pullets and they were super cheap! Thanks for the ideas it was really interesting.
Kjersti

There's no white on any of their heads just on their chests that's why I was confident they're all pullets. The ones I got before are exactly the same as the black sex link pullets I ordered and picked up today. Thanks though
Kjersti

Back
Top Bottom