UPDATE: Are these chicks australorps or something else?

freetodream

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
We got these chicks at the feed store yesterday however they were in a group of misc. hatchery choice and the hatchery lady that delivered them took the invoice with her so the feed store really didn't know what these little guys were (they were hatched monday so they're 6 days old now). Based on what the hatchery has thats black I've either got barred rocks, black sex link, or black australorps. Based on pictures i've seen they looked most like Black Australorps to me so that's what I hedged my bets on and bought them and I got a great deal. Can anyone help me out? They're all black except for varying amount's of white on their bellies/chests and a bit on the tip of their wings, and there's one chick that has a bit of white on the sides of his face but that's the only one like that. Here's some pic's from today
0403101900a.jpg

0403101902.jpg

Thanks for any help I appreciate it
smile.png

Kjersti

Last edited:
They could be. But mine had more yellow on their undersides. I don't have a pic of them as young, but here they are at a couple of weeks. You can see they still have a lot of light coloring all the way up the front of their necks.

26987_bachicks.jpg

You'd expect small white spots on top if they were barred rocks. If they are sex-links, they're all pullets (no white dots on top) - do you know if they are pullets or straight run?

I'm assuming they're straight run mostly because they were with some golden sex links but there were males and females of those. But they could be pullets or straight run really since I took all the black ones. I looked at pics of the barred rocks too and pretty much ruled those out because of the black heads but I was confused because the black sex link chicks don't have white on their bellies and the tips of the wings right? But these guys do. And the pics of Australorp chicks I've see have more white than mine do. So strange. I suppose I'll for sure have a better idea on tuesday since I'm getting some black sex link pullets from the same hatchery that were ORDERED and I know what they are lol. Any other ideas?

Are you sure they aren't Black Jersey Giants? They look my Jerseys when I brought them home last month. What color are the bottom of their feet?

Back
Top Bottom