UPDATE Day 15 ..Just candled!

Jenlyn9483

Crowing
14 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Hi everyone..Well as most of you know, I just finished building my new "Miss Prissy Chick Bator" a few days ago. I was lucky enough to get 2 dozen eggs fertile eggs from Joann's Neighbor. Mixed breed layin variety..Rooster was RIR and she knows he has some Black Astrolorp hens and I got a green egg too, So probably EE or something also got 2 smaller White eggs. The rest are different shades of cream and brown . So Im pretty sure these chicks are going to be some grand layin mutts. I have not incubated any eggs since i was like 13 (12 years ago) and I had a regular strofoam bator from Farmer Coop that had a wafer heater and no turner. So all I know how to do is put an X on one side and an O on the other and turn them over twice a day. I have all my eggs done just like this and I am turning them twice a day. It seems to be working.

UPDATE:
It is 1030 at night and my boyfriend just built me the Coffee can candler so I could candle my eggs for the first time...Saturday is hatch day. So I am excited about my big brown gorgeous Astrolorp eggs but the two smaller white eggs are a total mystery to me...I candled maybe 8 eggs. Both white eggs were dark and I even saw a chick moving in one!.. I only had 2 clear eggs and the rest were dark.. I am going to try again tomorrow night to candle to see if I can see some others. I had a total of 18 eggs. 16 now.

Friday I put 12 Contourix quail eggs from Joann in the bator and Today I got 11 eggs from Pidgey (2 Turkens, 3 Silkie, 1 OEG bantam, 1 sultan, 1 EE, 3 Ringneck Pheasent, and I put one of my new White leghorn eggs in their that I got out of the box today just for kicks.
So I got 41 eggs in the bator now..The wiggly chick gave me hope smile

Good luck
big_smile.png

Do the little white eggs look like silkie eggs ??? Good luck with your hatch, keep us updated !!!!!

fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

SWTangel, That is a gorgeous Buff silkie you have in your avatar. Yesterday I seen some buff silkies for the first time! I gotta have some!! Do you ever sell any eggs?

Just got done candling the rest of the eggs. Down to 13 out of 18 still developing growing and moving
clap.gif
. The other 4 were not fertil. 1 looked like a tiny spot just stopped devloping. 5 days til hatch day..
fl.gif
this is going to be nerve racking! At least I got all the rotton ones out so I wont have any more explosions! (Had one this morning
sickbyc.gif
)

Quote:
My buff hen is still raising her 8 babies and hasnt layed me an egg in at least a month (soon I hope) All I get right now for silkie eggs are splash and gray.

ohh and good luck on your hatch.

Tomorrow is day 21...no pips yet...but I thought i heard some peeps for a second this morning...Humidity is running at 85...I hope i wake up to some pips!!! I would hate to know they came this far with so many living and moving with thier little hearts beating and not hatch out...Everyone wish me good luck!! This is my first time hatching in YEARS and I dont think i have ever put this much effort into it...I will be heartbroken if I dont get just a few off these eggs...
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
:fl:jumpy

I think your humidity is too high, 60-65% is sufficient. You run the risk of the chicks drowning with humidity too high
Good luck
fl.gif
:fl

Krista

Thats what I thought one of my friends told me to get it up that high and they hatch constantly...Now I dont know what to do..ck the net I guess...

Back
Top Bottom