UPDATE Dog thowing up

If you can try to find a good farm vet. We have one that doesn't have the fancy office and is actually almost never there but out in the field with his clients but they tend to be a bit more practical in their treatments. Ours is very understanding of financial limitation and honestly we were always given alternatives and were worked with when things were going to be expensive.

Quote:
I agree, a good, level headed, common sense farm vet is worth his weight in gold!

That said, barfing can have a bazillion causes and if it continues your not going to get to the bottom of it without some diagnostic testing being done. I had to have this done on my rottie, he started vomiting every single day. It cost me about $700.00 bucks but my vet x-rayed and ultrasounded him from nose to tail and did bloodwork. That ruled out a whole lot of things. Turned out he was having pancreatitis attacks and he also has food allergies. All controlled now with diet and some inexpensive meds.

Good luck, he look's like a really nice dog, hope you are able to get him figured out.

Thank you
Making the food harder to get at is slowing down his eating and seems to be working
I did not think of a farm vet that is a good idea
If we go 24 hours and he continues to not vomit does anyone think we should try some Advantage on him. He has fleas bad (being a white animal). We have given him 3 flea dip baths so far but I thought the Advantage might make him more sick so I have withheld it. I can give him another bath which might help for a few days but the fleas continue to make him uncomfortable. He hates baths too

Last edited:
Have you noticed him vomiting after the flea dips?? They can make some animals sick!
Advantage is safer than those dips..IMO
Call and ask the vet about using the advantage on him...
smile.png

Good point
All flea treatments are poison
He was throwing up an hour after we left the shelter and before we were even out of the car ( I thought it might be motion sickness then) Two days later he got the first dip but I will speak to a vet about the Advantage if I can get one on the phone before hand. I was thinking that the Advantage might irritate his system more.

Hi, I agree that you should be consistant with your dogs diet. For an upset stomach the vet where I work recommends white rice and boiled chicken. If the poor critter is still vomiting, I would have some of the labs done atleast. Pancreatitis can cause vomiting and can be caused by stress, or fatty diets to name a few causes. This can be diagnosed by a blood test. I may have missed this, but his stool tested for worms or other parasites? Good Luck! I know that a sick dog can be tough!

I am taking him to another vet on Mon. for a visit and maybe x rays. Yeah
thumbsup.gif

The regurgitating is continuing He still seems healthy and happy . What is this?
barnie.gif

When he is really happy he jumps around a lot then it always happens but sometimes he is asleep and it happens.
he.gif
:he
I actually hope that they do find something or he gets some medication. He is only regurgitating 2-3 times a day sometimes after a walk at the dog park then he gulps water the he does it.

I have another question too maybe someone can help. I put vectra flea treatment on him for the fleas but now he stinks if I give him another bath will it wash off?

Last edited:
Thank you
bow.gif

The vet did mention it but that was much more informative. I hope it is not that though sounds like treatment may not be available or very expensive.

Oliver has Megaesophagus. I would value any advise from everyone (please nothing too critical of me or my family) My family is truly heartbroken. It is believed to be congenital and there are more abnormalities around his heart. Does anyone have any experience with a successful treatment?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom