UPDATE: First Hatch - Stress- Joy- Sadness - Relief - Worry

UPDATE: After only hatch from the original 8 eggs I put in the bator (some didn't develop at all and two died after pip) - smelled something funky in the bator with the other 15 or so eggs I started a week after the first batch - duh! Also a rookie mistake to have two different sets going since you can't turn them without disrupting the other eggs that are supposed to be in lockdown...so that I know. Anyway, went to search out the sour egg and candle them to see how they were doing and found two pipped! These are bantam eggs that weren't due until Sunday. They were shrink-wrapped (no surprise after my obvious failure with the other three over the weekend) and their yokes are already absorbed. Here's the question: do I snip their cords or let them do it themselves. The second chick had obviously had some bleeding during its efforts to hatch while shrink-wrapped, but seems to be doing just fine now. Advice? I don't want their insides to be pulled outside as I've read can happen. None of that appears to be a problem right now and they are both still sitting in the bottom of their eggs. I only removed half to ease their struggle.

(I know this hatch is a MESS, but boy am I learning A LOT.) p.s. Tuesday (the crooked foot chick survivor from the weekend) is doing well. Eating, drinking, pecking, and getting around better since I splinted her foot.

Back
Top Bottom