Update: Found a pair, picking them up Friday! Thinking about buying this rabbit trio..."experts weigh in!

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
This spring I would like to start a meat rabbit program. I got my cages and everything all set up, and am now attempting to select rabbits. I decided I wanted to go with a Heritage breed that needs help, and have landed on the American Chinchilla. So on to my questions...

1.Has anyone raised this breed for meat? Please share experiences

2.Is $200 a fair price for a pedigreed proven trio, unrelated, that has been selected for meat?

Here are some pics of the animals. They're proven (have been bred to each other) and have been selected for meat. I would really appreciate any input!

Buck born May 2018
20210308_150935.jpg

Doe 1 born May 2019
20210308_151159.jpg

Doe #2 born May 2019
20210308_151027.jpg

I am very close to purchasing these buns. Please weigh-in. Thanks!

$200 seems a little high to me, and their age suggests they may be culls. I always weeded mine out around 2 years old, maybe a little older for a buck. Just like chickens, their prime reproductive years are 8-24 months.

They aren't posed very well, so it could be the pictures, but they look a little narrow in the shoulder. Meat rabbits should be shaped like a brick.

If you are looking simply for pets, they would be fine, but I would look elsewhere for breeding stock. Also, line breeding is common in rabbits, so completely unrelated stock could result in generation of breeding to get the result you want. Line breeding lets you remove traits you don't like sooner because they show up sooner. And then you eat your mistakes.

Good breeding rabbits that are in their prime should cost $30-40 each in most areas.
Thank you for the input. I passed on those.
Found a year old pair for $50 total. Pedigreed and the pics look gorgeous. Picking them up friday! I will post pics.

You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't answer your other questions. Never raised this breed.
It's all good! Maybe someone else will weigh in. I am thinking I am going to get them. I will probably purchase a NZ or Cali buck also. Keep all the hybrids for meat. Attempt to sell the pure breeds as pets/breeders. If they don't sell, I am sure they will be just as tasty. :)

$200 seems a little high to me, and their age suggests they may be culls. I always weeded mine out around 2 years old, maybe a little older for a buck. Just like chickens, their prime reproductive years are 8-24 months.

They aren't posed very well, so it could be the pictures, but they look a little narrow in the shoulder. Meat rabbits should be shaped like a brick.

If you are looking simply for pets, they would be fine, but I would look elsewhere for breeding stock. Also, line breeding is common in rabbits, so completely unrelated stock could result in generation of breeding to get the result you want. Line breeding lets you remove traits you don't like sooner because they show up sooner. And then you eat your mistakes.

Good breeding rabbits that are in their prime should cost $30-40 each in most areas.

Back
Top Bottom