Update: Fowl Pox or Head Mites/Lice

sirenaspring

Chirping
May 1, 2022
Hello folks! I made a post a few days ago and I didn't have a ton of information to go off on since it was my dad's hen and I only visit once or twice a week.

Previously, I wrote about the hen's head being swollen, one eye being shut completely, and bleeding ears. She was still eating and drinking okay. Just the head was looking rough. I took her to the vet and the vet tech freaked out. It didn't look good.
The Vet said it was fowl pox and that she was having some respiratory issues, and gave me some antibiotics, a cream (silver sulfadiazine), a cleaning solution, and anti-inflammatory medicine. (I did warn my dad that his flock might have fowl pox so he's keeping an eye on things.)

IMG_6453.jpg

It's been 2 days and it has gotten so much worse! Both her eyes are nearly shut and she has bloody scabs on her head. I have her inside a small cage, lined up with pee pads and there's a lot of her dander there. On the positive, she's still eating and drinking okay. I kept giving her the medications and cleaned up her wounds, and she took them pretty well. Better than my own socialized hens.

As I was checking up on her recently, I saw little mites crawling around her face. I have no idea how I missed this! There aren't that many, just spotted one or two but that usually means there's more. So I rushed to clean her up again with a cotton ball and solution, then put some Vaseline on the worst of the wounds with a Q-tip. I avoided the nostrils and the eyes as much as possible. I also sprayed some Poultry Protector under her wings and rubbed it on her neck area and her back.

I still think she has fowl pox and the mites might be a secondary issue but I'm not totally sure.

Any other advice would be appreciated. I want to keep trying to help her and I want to avoid culling her until we know it's time to do so.

If she's got mites, you need to get rid of those.
Instructions here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
The ear looks swollen, she may have an ear infection of some kind or mites in the ears. You need to clean that out also, remove any pus. Instructions for that are here, see post #5 in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gunky-ears.630778/
Since she has "respiratory issues" there may be more going on with her, she may have a chronic respiratory disease, they could have tested for that. Most often the treatment for those is Tylan or Tylosin. It will help with symptoms, but in many cases is not a cure.
Some of the lower lesions and the one on her comb I can see, might be fowl pox, some of the scabs look more like pecking injuries to me. If she's sick, others in the flock may have done this, they will often attack a sick bird.

If she's got mites, you need to get rid of those.
Instructions here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
The ear looks swollen, she may have an ear infection of some kind or mites in the ears. You need to clean that out also, remove any pus. Instructions for that are here, see post #5 in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/gunky-ears.630778/
Since she has "respiratory issues" there may be more going on with her, she may have a chronic respiratory disease, they could have tested for that. Most often the treatment for those is Tylan or Tylosin. It will help with symptoms, but in many cases is not a cure.
Some of the lower lesions and the one on her comb I can see, might be fowl pox, some of the scabs look more like pecking injuries to me. If she's sick, others in the flock may have done this, they will often attack a sick bird.
thank you so much! You absolutely rule!

Updating for educational purposes maybe.

Mites are gone. Head isn’t swollen anymore and the scabs are looking ready to fall off in maybe a few more days. I’ll be out of town for a week so my friend will be taking over the hen’s care. I am concerned how her eyes turn out once the scabs fall but research indicates that she’ll likely be okay.

Fowl Pox looks to be the culprit here.

I’ll update again when she’s done healing up.

Updating for educational purposes maybe.

Mites are gone. Head isn’t swollen anymore and the scabs are looking ready to fall off in maybe a few more days. I’ll be out of town for a week so my friend will be taking over the hen’s care. I am concerned how her eyes turn out once the scabs fall but research indicates that she’ll likely be okay.

Fowl Pox looks to be the culprit here.

I’ll update again when she’s done healing up.
How is she doing? Can you share what you did to help her so quickly please?

Back
Top Bottom