UPDATE (Good news) HELP chicken pullet cannot stand

drdanags

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 29, 2012
One of my pullets is unable to stand. Lying on side. head tilts to the left. Moves left leg, but seems to keep it out straight, as if balancing maybe. Right side around ear area is a bit red. She can move right leg, but keeps it pulled up under her.
I am trying to get her to drink water, but not successful.
Help help help, what can I do? Is this some vitamin deficiency or worse?

Last edited:
That does sound like a stroke, or a possible neck or head injury.....All you can do really, is keep her comfortable, by placing her in a nice box with some fresh bedding, and see if she improves.

If it seems like she could eat, put the food and water very close to her and see if she eats on her own, or you could try and hand feed her and give her water with a dropper.

Time will tell. So sorry you pullet is not feeling well,
Sharon

Thanks for the advice. I have her inside in a small cage. I have been giving her water with vitamin/electrolytes with a syringe (small squirts in beak). She did eat a bit for me, if I hold it close to her. I will just keep trying and see what happens over the next couple of days. Unfortunately I cannot stay home with her every day, but today, I am working from home.

All the other (5 other mixed pullets) are doing well so far.

I also added the electrolye/vitamin to the water of the other girls, since it has been warmer and a new outdoor environment.

If anyone else has any comments/suggestions, I would be grateful.

Yes, Here is a couple of pictures.
She is eating now (notice in pic).
She is trying to move around, but mainly just scoots back with her right leg (I had this backwards in my first post), but is also moving left leg. Lies on left side; if I place her upright or on her right side she "falls" over or turns by staightening out her right leg. (the picture shows her typical leg position, all bones appear normal, no swelling, no injuries visible)
I have her cusioned on hay and paper towels in the corner of the cage, she seems comfortable enough and sleeps quite a bit.

she really has not had much poop, but what there was is normal. I expect more pooping since she is eating a now. Her eyes are clear and bright. Other than her inability to stand or be upright, she "looks" normal. No signs of other diseases that I can see. breathing is normal.

She is a bit more "fiesty". Will kick her both of her legs, wants to stand up but she's a bit "crooked" so she can't get up. Eating.

I am so sorry your little one is having trouble and I wish I could give you some advice.
I can say a little prayer for your hen, though, and I will! Here's to hoping she perks up,
or is at least comfortable and happy. Good luck! Kate

Just some encouraging words, a friend of mine had a similar thing happen with one of her Polish hens, and that hen did recover. My friend did play nursemaid for her for a few weeks though. If you've got the patience and time, maybe she'll come around. She's very cute.

Back
Top Bottom