update: left neutral eggbid feedback

I agree that shipped eggs are a risk and that part is OK...

As a person who spends money buying eggs, I would have liked to be able to read feedback but I also don't want to leave unfair negative feedback.

My two main feedback isses are the packaging and changing the shipping method. The other issues are just things I'm wondering about.

I also wondered about how they were stored. The eggs were dated on different ends of the eggs - if they were all stored with the date end up, many would have been upside down. It just left another question in my mind and added to my feeling that the seller is inexperienced.

So it's hard to know what to do.

what kind of eggs ?? and how much money are you out ?? I would still contact the seller, as a seller of eggs on e-bay it does not sound like you were treated fairly.

When I collect eggs I mark my eggs always on the big end. My DH on the other hand marks which ever end is in his hand at the time. It took me MONTHS to get him to lable on the big end. I had to keep asking him how he thought the eggs could be read if the little end had the writing and was in the bottom of the turner. It finally sunk in.

I put my eggs in a carton and rotate the carton from end to end and once over once or twice a day to keep the embryo moving. I don't think everyone does it the same way but there isn't a right or wrong unless they don't bother to turn the eggs while holding them.

I would contact them privately and suggest the packaging be better thought out in the future as you are disappointed to have recieved broken eggs. Also that youare disappointed the eggs were not express mailed even though you have a refund.

Give them a chance to make it right. If they do try to make up for the problems in my way of thinking negative feedback isn't really fair.

How about nuetral feedback? Not bad, not good and lets people know there was an issue just not airing the details in public?

How about neutral feedback? Not bad, not good and lets people know there was an issue just not airing the details in public?

That is the most likely outcome (neutral feedback). The feeling I got was that they just haven't shipped many eggs... Hopefully they will get a lot better as they go.

what kind of eggs ?? and how much money are you out ?? I would still contact the seller, as a seller of eggs on e-bay it does not sound like you were treated fairly.

These were supposedly from SQ parent stock: RIR, Jersey Giant, White Langshans, and Orp. I think the total cost was about $55 after the partial shipping refund.

They were located in WI, so express shipping was important for viability.​

I would always contact the seller first and see what they say.

If they offer more eggs, then, IMO, you really can't fairly leave negative feedback - they are doing their best to make right.

It does sound like they may be inexperienced, but if they are willing to make it right that's the best you can ask for.

At 10 days the eggs should be just fine. I have a bunch in my incubator right now that were 10-12 days old when I put them in and every single one is developing well - not a single dud.

Now, poor packing and postal trauma may have killed some of the eggs you got, but I doubt them being 10 days old was a problem.

Just bottom line - contact the seller and give them a chance to fix it. If they won't try to make it right, then I think the neutral feedback is fair, I'm not sure I'd leave negative. [it doesn't sound like they did anything wrong intentionally....?]

The only time I've ever been tempted to leave negative feedback is the time a guy sent me 12 RIR eggs and *5* of them were rotten and stinking when I got them [3 days after I won the auction].

Then he wouldn't respond to my emails for more than a week until I finally emailed threatening to leave negative feedback - then he offered more eggs for me paying the shipping. I did not take him up on it [like you say, I figured it was more money wasted] but I didn't leave bad feedback either - just on the off chance that it really was an honest mistake and he somehow didn't realize he was shipping completely rotten, nasty eggs. [He claimed he never got the earlier emails through eBay - which I find doubtful but I wouldn't leave bad feedback just in case it was true].

Anyway, hopefully the seller will do what they can to help resolve the situation for you! A bad hatch is so disappointing.
smile.png

Kelly

Last edited:
BeardedChick,

You've gotten some good advice--I only have a couple of points to make.

I'm a firm believer that feedback in a shipped egg deal should be based on the financial transaction and the quality of packaging. Those are the only things the seller really has any control over (aside from selling outdated eggs, or misrepresenting their animals, but I'm talking about the basically well-meaning seller).

Just because shipped eggs don't develop doesn't mean they are infertile. If the germinal disk is damaged en route, the egg will never show any development. I see people leaving negative feedback on eggbid and eBay accusing sellers of sending infertile eggs because they didn't develop, and it really makes me mad, because most likely they were fertile, but were damaged during shipping. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure my day is coming
rant.gif

Obviously, there were some packaging problems in your situation. My advice would be to contact the seller and be very specific about how you'd like him/her to make things right. Perhaps a refund of the shipping fees, or something like that, since you don't want more eggs from them. Based on how the seller responds, you'll know what kind of feedback to leave.

Webfoot

Just because shipped eggs don't develop doesn't mean they are infertile. If the germinal disk is damaged en route, the egg will never show any development.

With the eggs packed around the outside of the box, I would be suprised if germinal disks were not damaged. I read on the UC Davis site that 'fertile but clear' eggs can also be caused by eggs being older (they say a week) or by improper storage as in too cold of storage temperatures.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone who has given feedback. It helps to have the balance of perspectives, especially when I'm feeling bummed about all the clears.

The good thing is the bummed feeling doesn't last long - now there's room in the 'bator for more eggs.
big_smile.png

ETA: oops, fixed a double negative​

Last edited:
Contact them first. If they refunded the money I'd probably leave neutral because it doesn't mean they will pack eggs properly in the future and if I were buying from someone I would want to know that risk. If they shipped replacement eggs properly packaged I would leave good because they fixed the situation and know how to pack eggs for future auctions. If they do nothing I would leave negative because it's likely they will continue to do the same and people will continue to lose money on damaged eggs.

I'm with Akane. A good seller would replace them better packed an deserve good feedback. A bad seller wouldn't an deserves bad feedback. Bad sellers count on people walking away. I will not.

And I myself wont the feedback people feel I deserve. An let people decide on the sum total.

Back
Top Bottom