update Limping Rooster

Mammabuckbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Cache bay
A few days ago two of my biggest roosters fought through the fence that separates them. My Brahma rooster's beak is damaged and his crest and wattles are full of scabs which i am treating with polysporin to avoid infection. My other rooster the orprington who seems to have less damage to his facial area is limping badly. I checked his feet. There is no bruising, swollen areas, or visible cuts, no heat or redness that i can see. I will be bringing him in this evening to avoid stressing him out and chasing him around the hen house. I was thinking of soaking the injured leg and applying polysporin to it. Is there any other ideas as to what else i should do or what else it could be?. He is getting worse day by day.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I recommend you soak his legs in warm epsom salts water for about 20 minutes or so, twice daily. If anything, the warm soaks will take out the soreness. Seperate him into a cage or crate and provide him feed and water. He needs rest and relaxation in order for his leg to heal...keeping him off it is the best you can do for him. Time will heal.

My rooster with the limp had a gash between his foot and spur....I couldn't see it cause there was some dirt on it.....I washed his feet in water with epsom salts and covered it in polysporin.....he is now in a crate in my basement resting comfortably.....I am hoping he will be back to normal in a few days....He sure makes a loud alarm clock
barnie.gif
...i will be glad when he goes back outside

In a good way, I think a gash is easier to treat than a sprain or an invisible injury as you first thought. Just continue to put the antibiotic ointment on the would...it should heal quickly in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom