Update-Most likely ear infection -Hen Trips and Falls when she tries running and behavior has change

Cochaura

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
East Central Minnesota
One of our 16 month old easter egger hens wiped out twice today when she tried running. The first time she actually did a somersault. She's always been one of the more skittish hens, but typically she would tear out of the coop with the rest of them when we open it. I've noticed for the past month, she's more hesitant to emerge and peeks out first. Usually they all run to the front of the house, but the past couple days she has stopped half-way by one of the cars first, and looks like she's psyching herself up for the rest of the way. She's has looked a little unstable, but until today has seemed to run fine.

She is foraging and roosting. They are moulting right now so there have hardly been any eggs, so it's difficult to go by that. Her poo was a very small amount, but green with whitish foam. I looked at the poop pictures link and I don't think it's anything other than the small quantity was strange. She did stand off by herself sometimes and was a little slower moving. She also stood on one leg for awhile. I didn't notice any injuries.

These hens were vaccinated for Marek's at the hatchery.

Any ideas or other things I should check to help identify the problem?

Last edited:
Hmm tricky, not sure I've ever heard of these symptoms before!
The small quantities of poop means she's not getting enough food through her. This could just be because she's not eating enough, or because of a crop issue, or because of a blockage somewhere further along. Can you isolate her to get a better idea of how much she is eating and pooping? If she's sickening for something, being inside in the warm is a good idea anyway.

It is quite a task figuring out what's wrong with them when they can't tell you! I had my boyfriend observe her today when I let them out and he suggested maybe an ear infection. She thankfully didn't fully trip, but she was off balance when trying to run. One of her poops was a little bigger this afternoon. I had given them all a little olive oil in yogurt this morning hoping it would help her if it was a crop issue. I saw her eat some food and she also ate watermelon I put out and foraged around. She scratched the left side of her head frequently and that was also the side she was favoring when stepping and the side she fell on yesterday. I researched ear infections and they do occur in chickens. We looked and sure enough there was some clear gunk on her left ear. Her right ear looks a little pale, but I didn't see any gunk. We put electrolytes in their water and he replaced the screens in their windows with their plexiglass so it will be warmer. She is a nervous, skittish chicken and we opted against separating her for tonight to avoid the additional stress. I am going to look for supplies to deal with the ear infection tomorrow. Her ear isn't swollen like I've seen in some photos, so hopefully that is a good sign that it's not too horrible yet.

Back
Top Bottom