UPDATE! not paranoid!... keeping RE buyers from casing my place?

Your post got me to thinking about that HGTV show "House Hunters" which has this RE agent whom I think is TERRIBLE. Sandra something. She seems to work mostly with "Property Virgins" (first time buyers). Anyway, her thing is to pull up to a house on the market, ask the young buyers to guess the price (holy cow!), and then send them in ALONE to look at the house. Granted, in this case they are followed by video cameras filming the show, but come on! Somewhere in this country there is a naive, beginner RE agent who thinks this is super cool, and decides to do the same thing with HER clients.

As a person who has moved many times in my life, bought and sold many houses (27 at last count), AND held a Real Estate license for a while, I find this practice infuriating to watch. I always start to rant. I NEVER let my house be shown unless I was there, and I agree with a previous poster who preferred looking at vacant houses (no one living there, not "no one home").

I don't know what advice to give you, as you have already given your permission. Your landlord can't really "sell quickly" when you have six months left on your lease. Was he thinking the buyers would honor the lease? I think legally they have to. Most people looking to buy right now have lots to look at with reasonable prices, and are not interested in waiting six months to take possession.

I wish you good luck, and I'm glad you are looking out for yourself.

thumbsup.gif

ok, for all y'all that thought I was just being paranoid...

last night I get home, unlock my driveway gate and the lock comes apart... I take a careful look and it's been cut with bolt cutters and then propped back together to look locked. I look around in the dark, don't see anything missing, house isn't broken into, truck is still there... but it's dark and I can't really see.

get up this morning and do the full rounds and check...
what's missing?

my chocolate turkey hen.

you can't see these birds from the street.

haven't had anyone on the property except 2 real estate agents and one prospective buyer.

Yep. Not. Paranoid.

just mad.
somad.gif
rant.gif

I'm so sorry about that hen!

Every single agent who has shown that house has to have had contact with your landlord's agent first. Contact your landlord, of his agent, tell them about the theft, (after calling the police to show them the cut bolt), and have them call every single person who was through. Can't have been that many people, I hope they can figure it out. Or, maybe the police can do that for you, but, I've seen how the police go after small thefts...

I wish there was a good answer for you. Is it illegal to set up cameras?

Quote:
X2

I'm so sorry to hear about your theft and your bird loss. Not only does it make you angry, but it gives such a squeamish feeling. Why did they even bother to put the lock back up all pretty?

Quote:
X2

I'm so sorry to hear about your theft and your bird loss. Not only does it make you angry, but it gives such a squeamish feeling. Why did they even bother to put the lock back up all pretty?

yeah, that's part of the creepy part.

sheriff called,
agent called,
landlord called.

all "so sorry", no progress. rrrrrrrrrrr.

don't think the sheriff is going to do much, but I've got someone on the force I'm casual friends with... he'll be on duty after 9, calling him tonight to see if there's more action available. they're pretty short staffed for a lot of square miles, it's tough to get their attention for a stolen turkey.

Quote:
paycheck on monday... game camera going up on tuesday.
legal to photograph activity on my property? yeah, I'm in missouri where you can still do things like that
smile.png

put in a surveillance system. get cameras with LED's that are not visible to the naked eye.

PM me if you need any advice on how to do it. you seem mechanically inclined. not hard to do. with high speed internet, you can even get alerted to your phone with photos.

Back
Top Bottom