UPDATE. Now I had to put my duckling that was on a 4 day hatching standstill in a cup bc he started to BLEED! Help Needed. šŸ˜¢

Attachments

• 771BC482-7523-461D-9175-8BF515E1A8EC.jpeg
    771BC482-7523-461D-9175-8BF515E1A8EC.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 5
Can you see any veins, how much blood was lost? Just a little? Or a lot?
Is he yawning or chewing?
Day 5 since internal pip or external? They can go two days without food or water once the yolk is completely absorbed. And the yolk isn't usually absorbed fully until after external pip.

Do you have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer in your incubator?
May I ask one more question?
Since today is day 5 since she externally piped and did not progress, should I try to give her some water?
Her yolk sac was fully absorbed and I donā€™t know how long itā€™s been absorbed.
I donā€™t want her going down from dehydration after all of this.
I have ā€œSave a Chickā€ electrolytes, should I try to get her to take a few drops??? šŸ¤”

I'm not sure as what to do at this point. I know you've had a rough time and am pulling for this little guy! The feet sticking out worry me as he has nothing to push from. Maybe a more experienced duck hatcher can offer more advice!
Good morning!

Well, after a very stressful night, I came downstairs this morning and she had freed her little head and was peeping away at me as if to say ā€œIā€™m ready now mom!ā€ šŸ’•
So I took the egg out of the cup and within 30 seconds she was out!
Her yolk sac was fully absorbed and zero bleeding.
She seems strong and is already stumbling around the incubator pecking at egg shells. Lol!
I put down a soft cloth and she got comfortable and fell right to sleep while sheā€™s drying off. šŸ„°

I have 2 more eggs that will need to go into lockdown soon, I donā€™t get a break, but itā€™s a labor of love and commitment.
I just wish I knew WHY Iā€™ve had so much trouble with my Muscovyā€™s, they absolutely will not hatch on their own without assistance.

My 3 chicks just popped out on their due date with no problem at all. I couldnā€™t even candle them because they were very dark brown, so I didnā€™t even know if they were ok! šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Itā€™s unbelievable what a difference it is!

Here are my 3 day old chicks, week old duckling and our 5 day old duckling. Now weā€™ll have 3 of each with 2 more coming soon.šŸ£
They are so adorable! And of course our new baby!

Thank you for everything!
Blessings,
Amy

Attachments

• 561821AF-8562-42A3-893D-1D2F1464DB1B.jpeg
    561821AF-8562-42A3-893D-1D2F1464DB1B.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 5
  • A4345D56-3F98-4533-9496-3C2BF0D25201.jpeg
    A4345D56-3F98-4533-9496-3C2BF0D25201.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 974CFECC-7C86-41C0-8D5B-95A0469581B7.jpeg
    974CFECC-7C86-41C0-8D5B-95A0469581B7.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 5
  • B75686E5-1ACE-4292-838B-3D910A31D154.jpeg
    B75686E5-1ACE-4292-838B-3D910A31D154.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 3F0C8017-BB97-4500-AD4B-288F27EF6298.jpeg
    3F0C8017-BB97-4500-AD4B-288F27EF6298.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 5413779F-F5D7-4F4B-A4F7-E0C4B31D6E9A.jpeg
    5413779F-F5D7-4F4B-A4F7-E0C4B31D6E9A.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 5
  • D4B4D062-8A02-4D3E-A9D3-582211FA204B.jpeg
    D4B4D062-8A02-4D3E-A9D3-582211FA204B.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 162277DB-3A10-4410-94A3-688473C624A2.jpeg
    162277DB-3A10-4410-94A3-688473C624A2.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 5
Since today is day 5 since she externally piped and did not progress, should I try to give her some water?
Her yolk sac was fully absorbed and I donā€™t know how long itā€™s been absorbed.
I have ā€œSave a Chickā€ electrolytes, should I try to get her to take a few drops??? šŸ¤”
I was going to suggest you do that since the yolk may have absorbed earlier than normal compared to when she hatched. Some duck egg yolk works too - not sure if save a chick is just for chickens? (Iā€™m a chicken person, so not specifically sure about ducks.)

I was going to suggest you do that since the yolk may have absorbed earlier than normal compared to when she hatched. Some duck egg yolk works too - not sure if save a chick is just for chickens? (Iā€™m a chicken person, so not specifically sure about ducks.)
Yes, itā€™s for both. šŸ„°
So you do suggest that I try to get her to take some water?
Should I use a dropper? As Iā€™m not sure if she know how to drink on her own yet..

I really appreciate your help! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Yes, itā€™s for both. šŸ„°
So you do suggest that I try to get her to take some water?
Should I use a dropper? As Iā€™m not sure if she know how to drink on her own yet..

I really appreciate your help! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø
Sorry was outside working. She should know how to drink by herself unless she is too weak. But a dropper would work if needed? I personally would start by making a small shallow dish and showing it to her. Give her a minute to drink, then back in to dry off.

Good morning!

Well, after a very stressful night, I came downstairs this morning and she had freed her little head and was peeping away at me as if to say ā€œIā€™m ready now mom!ā€ šŸ’•
So I took the egg out of the cup and within 30 seconds she was out!
Her yolk sac was fully absorbed and zero bleeding.
She seems strong and is already stumbling around the incubator pecking at egg shells. Lol!
I put down a soft cloth and she got comfortable and fell right to sleep while sheā€™s drying off. šŸ„°

I have 2 more eggs that will need to go into lockdown soon, I donā€™t get a break, but itā€™s a labor of love and commitment.
I just wish I knew WHY Iā€™ve had so much trouble with my Muscovyā€™s, they absolutely will not hatch on their own without assistance.

My 3 chicks just popped out on their due date with no problem at all. I couldnā€™t even candle them because they were very dark brown, so I didnā€™t even know if they were ok! šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Itā€™s unbelievable what a difference it is!

Here are my 3 day old chicks, week old duckling and our 5 day old duckling. Now weā€™ll have 3 of each with 2 more coming soon.šŸ£
They are so adorable! And of course our new baby!

Thank you for everything!
Blessings,
Amy
So so happy for the great update! There's nothing cuter than a duckling. I know that you said your girl was new to laying and maybe that was the only issue. I tend to wait for a full month of laying before I try and incubate any of the eggs. Maybe it will be easier in the future, but glad it going much better! Have a great day of fuzzball snuggles!!!

So so happy for the great update! There's nothing cuter than a duckling. I know that you said your girl was new to laying and maybe that was the only issue. I tend to wait for a full month of laying before I try and incubate any of the eggs. Maybe it will be easier in the future, but glad it going much better! Have a great day of fuzzball snuggles!!!
Yeah I was wondering if maybe her eggs arenā€™t up to full size yet, and thats why the chicks are struggling to get into hatching position? Maybe?

I had heard muscovy ducks were typically broodyā€¦maybe later she will start hatching them herself. ā¤ļøā¤ļø

Yes thats worth doing, if a duckling has a challenging or very long hatch, it's always worth giving them a boost once they're out.
I'd wait for her to dry, which should only take an hour or so, then see if she'll take a sip. If you have any nutri drench, you could add a little to her water, save a chick also works

Dip the tip of her beak into the water, of course don't submerge her nares, she should take a sip

Glad to hear this little one made it out safe and sound. Was it truly 5 days since the duckling externally pip or was it 5 days since you added a safety hole? Your ducklings have still had veins when you have been giving them safety holes, that means they have not been ready to hatch yet. If it were me I would wait longer before adding safety holes. If you are not comfortable waiting, then wait longer before peeling anything larger than a pin sized hole and then expect to wait a few days before they make their own holes. The good news is that each egg will be farther into her laying cycle.
Are you still collecting eggs to incubate? She will continue to lay even though she is no longer with the drakes. It will be a bit before they are no longer fertile.

Back
Top Bottom