Update on Frostbitten Feet

Antomongis

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
Hi I just wanted to share about how the young chicken i’m taking care of is doing. I am now pretty positive she does have frostbite. One of her toes is about to fall off. What should I do? Should I help it come off? Should I wrap it in the position it’s hanging in? I hate to say it, but would it be best to put her down? I really don’t like seeing her suffering. I am soaking her feet in epsom salts as well as wrapping them with antibiotic spray and aloe vera gel. Let me know if you have any other suggestions for her care please. Thanks so much, you are all so helpful! ps I can attach a picture of the toe that is about to fall off if you’d like but it’s a bit gross, my last thread includes pictures of his feet but i’ll attach a couple here too

Pictures would probably help
I’m so sorry I don’t know where they went.
5B776697-976A-444D-ABD6-A858C78FE401.png

Attachments

• 9B8DDE87-85A0-4D0C-AEEE-CD091443CB39.jpeg
    9B8DDE87-85A0-4D0C-AEEE-CD091443CB39.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 17
  • A1B4747F-0C45-4743-A7CE-DBEA74FB91C4.jpeg
    A1B4747F-0C45-4743-A7CE-DBEA74FB91C4.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 14
  • FB6D171C-6B2A-4895-91CE-C3E88689F88B.jpeg
    FB6D171C-6B2A-4895-91CE-C3E88689F88B.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi I just wanted to share about how the young chicken i’m taking care of is doing. I am now pretty positive she does have frostbite. One of her toes is about to fall off. What should I do? Should I help it come off? Should I wrap it in the position it’s hanging in? I hate to say it, but would it be best to put her down? I really don’t like seeing her suffering. I am soaking her feet in epsom salts as well as wrapping them with antibiotic spray and aloe vera gel. Let me know if you have any other suggestions for her care please. Thanks so much, you are all so helpful! ps I can attach a picture of the toe that is about to fall off if you’d like but it’s a bit gross, my last thread includes pictures of his feet but i’ll attach a couple here too
Her toe fell off but is still like a tiny bit attached I don’t know what to do

I just posted on your other thread. I would leave the toe alone, and it will fall off on it’s own. If it is hanging by a thread, you could snip that. Do not wrap or bandage the toes. Keep her on a clean towel for bedding. Do a daily soak with Hibiclens/chlorhexidene or Epsom salts to help keep the toes clean. Keep her inside where it is warm enough. She will most likely lose all or part of all toes. Chickens can survive with just parts of the feet. Good luck on your rescue chicken, and she is pretty.

I just posted on your other thread. I would leave the toe alone, and it will fall off on it’s own. If it is hanging by a thread, you could snip that. Do not wrap or bandage the toes. Keep her on a clean towel for bedding. Do a daily soak with Hibiclens/chlorhexidene or Epsom salts to help keep the toes clean. Keep her inside where it is warm enough. She will most likely lose all or part of all toes. Chickens can survive with just parts of the feet. Good luck on your rescue chicken, and she is pretty.
Thank you so much! I’m glad you told me not to wrap or bandage them. I feel like I need to do something to immobilize her but i don’t know how other than enclosing her in a tight space which I’ve done.

Two bits of anecdotes for you: I have a spunky silver duckwing phoenix hen who lost the forward toes of one foot to a bobcat. She is the queen of the barnyard.

The other bit: Meindert DeJong wrote many books for children, and "Along Came a Dog" features another spunky hen who lost toes of both feet to the freeze. She went on to make her own nest, collect her eggs, hatch them, make friends with the dog, and was also the queen of the barnyard.

Your patient will most likely recover.

Back
Top Bottom