Update on injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roodle2, Aug 25, 2010.

1. roodle2

roodle2 In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    About 2 weeks I asked for help and suggestions for one of my hens that had been attacked by 6 others. She was badly injured and her scalp had been pecked so bad it literally rolled down on both sides of her head to the ear openings. I just wanted to say thanks to those who offered suggestions and good wishes and to let you know that she has survived and even though she looks really weird, she is doing quite well. I plan to keep her away from the others for another month to make sure she is totally healed then put her near them. I don't know if she will ever have skin covering her skull - I am hoping for thick scar tissue, so I will have to keep her out of the hot sun in our Texas summers. If I am lucky her skin will grow together and maybe she will grow feathers. once again I just wanted to say thank you for all your help.

2. Aimless Farmer

Aimless Farmer Songster

Jul 25, 2007
    N. Central MA
    I've had a couple of hens with torn scalps. Aurora was so bad the skin hung down to her shoulders like a "hoodie". She got stitched up, and has full feather coverage, though I call her my Joan Rivers hen, b/c of the stretching that was required to pull up and close the skin, her head feathers are angled in a dramatic up sweep. Screaming Mimi had a hole about the size of a quarter on the back of her head, which was not stitched, yet healed up & closed completely, and was fully feathered after a molt. Good for you! They are amazing healers!!

3. chkn

chkn Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    I've got one I have to protect now too. This morning I noticed some damage around the eye. I've got one old mean hen that's just making one of my layers life miserable and she's such a sweetie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by