Update on Kernel

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cats Critters, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

First off his thread from when he was attacked by a raccoon, warning graphic pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=512448

Okay
    I'm finally getting around to Kernel. So Kernel had his cage moved to the coop to try to add him back to the flock, because it turns out he didn't loss the eye! It was just damage and I'm still not sure if he can see anything out of it. So after about a week of being caged, I let him out at night so they would wake up with him there.

So the next morning, I go out and open the door and most of the flock heads out. No Kernel, so I start looking around the coop his not on the roosts or roosted on the nesting boxes. Finally I glance down and see him with his head under the lowest nesting box (which none of the hens use) . So I pull him out and one of the roosters (I'm guessing here) attacked his good eye and it was swollen shut.

But the eye (as of a few days after the attack) is no longer swollen but not well. He doesn't have much if any sight in either eye. But the originally good eye reacts to light (third eye lid moves, he closes it, etc.) and he is managing and I will give him a chance as long he is trying and eating.

The thought to be gone eye:
    [​IMG]

And the damaged by the roosters eye:
    [​IMG]

2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    so sad, i hope he pulls through!

3. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    so sad, that poor boy, I hope he pulls through![​IMG]

4. Cats Critters

I got to see how he is finding food when I feed him today. He lowers his head so his beak is barely off the ground and slowly moves back and forth until he finds the pellets either on the floor of his cage or in his dish. But after he finally finds food, he starts trying to call the girls over to eat! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Poor guy has the worst luck. Glad to read he still trying to be a rooster.

6. Cats Critters

Thanks everyone with well wishes for Kernel. [​IMG]
    Poor guy has the worst luck. Glad to read he still trying to be a rooster.

I know, poor boy. And along with calling the girls over, he is still crowing like the other boys.​

7. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Poor Kernel...he has really had a rough time of it!! What a sweetheart finding his food and then trying to call the girls. Aww...melts my heart. [​IMG]

8. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Poor little guy! He's so pretty, though, and its great how he's still acting like a rooster! [​IMG] Best of luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by