1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

update on killer doxie- shes NOT the bird killer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by melissa508, Sep 8, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    After 3 killings i now no its not my daschund..what a relief. It was hard to belive that the same dog who brought me home a day old duckling in perfect condition woud go and kill- but after the rabbit thing I really thought it was her.
    Now even with the rabbit thing..im starting to believe that she found the rabbit already half eaten & the smell got her into trying it out.

Killer doxie has been on total lockdown since the silkie incident & today in broad daylight there was another killing- this time my male guinea..totally bummed over him- my guineas are unusual compared to ones ive had in the past- they dont take off & they LOVE the ducks so much they sleep cuddled up with them. what a shame..the best male guinea I have ever had..so protective & good with the other birds...sickening.

So my conclusion ..the coyotes up here are looking to feed the pups..I have 39 acres & we saw a pack of them near the barn a month ago very late at night & havent seen or heared them since.

So..im hoping our town will do something..i have no idea, but coyotes have been all over the news in MA lately becuase they have started atacking in the daytime.

2. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    In a way I'm sorry because it means re-homing your dog won't fix the problem but mostly I'm happy for you since now you'll keep your dog! [​IMG] Good luck dealing with the coyotes, that may be a tough one. Sorry about your guinea.

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Build a tractor so you can safely let them get fresh grass and bugs.

That's what I'm planning for my girls since I have hawks, bald eagle and coyote.

Do your best to protect the ones you have left. There's always going to be preditors wanting to eat our chickens.

4. melissa508

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Im glad it wasnt my dog- I had such a hard time thinking that she would do that- there has been hundeds of baby chix in my house over the years..she has so much opportunity. Some days she finds her way into the pen & swims in the pool with the ducks, or just lays in the middle of the pen with them. If i go away overnight- i have always locked my dog in the coops/barn with the birds..thats how much i trust them to protect & not kill. In fact when friends/family bring their dogs over to play- mine are constantly watching them & if they get too close to the birds- they make it known that its unacceptable behavior.

I have been hearing so much on the news here about coyotes lately- i also have a 2yr old..so ive got to find somebody to come out here & trap them ..i dont care if they put em down- they killed my birds & make it unsafe here.

1st thing in the morning i will be calling around. When i lived in SC and we had a pest problem on the farm- the county sent traps out the same day..I dont know how or if they do anything here..but im going to try.

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Dont know how much the county or state will do about the coyotes.
    Your fairly rural? I know Mass has soem whacked gun laws but can you shoot the coyotes yourself?
    If not I would call in a hunter to get rid of them.
    Traps dont work well on them they are smart enough to go around them.
    Keep in mind,coyotes are canine like and have a hig intelegence, they need to be outsmarted and its usually with something made of lead or steel.

Glad to hear it wasnt the dog after all.
    sometimes its easier to blame what you see instead of what you dont.
    We are human, we make mistakes.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Get in touch with fish and wildlife and see what they say. MA is so crazy who knows what they will let you do.

Are you on the south shore? I saw on the news a farmer down that way was losing livestock left and right to coyotes.

-Cindy

7. melissa508

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Actually I live in in Dudley, Ma ..right next to CT. Im on 39 acres, my neibors next to & across the st have over 100 acres each- so we are in the sticks...they are not friendly, so i cant even ask them about this.

I called fish & wildlife- but i saw that you have to hire somoene to do it..thats rediculous.

ive made some local postings hoping someone might want to trap & keep whatever they catch- its legal to trap if they pose a danger.

The idea of having someone up here with a gun..I dont know anyone who hunts of even owns a gun & my guns are still at my SC home..ma gun laws suck.so we just left em down there.

I wonder how I could go about finding someone local who would practice gun safety & could kill my problem..without accidently killing my dogs.

I guess im keeping everyone inside the barn for now- not going to be fun since i have 3 separated groups & mothers sitting- the males wont leave them alone even when theyre sitting..guess i will go up & see what i can do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by