Update on Nigerian with Rumen Disturbance

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThornyRidge, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Here is latest to the saga of the nigerian doe who suddenly fell "ill" with no eating, no gut sounds/movement and horrific teeth grinding: Just wanted to update- went down all through the night and before I left for work and continued with the c/d antitoxin, milk of magnesia and gave a little bit of the concoction above listed my missourigal-- had my father give two more drenches of milk of magnesia over the course of the day.. meanwhile I had called my vet and he said to bring her out when I got home from work (around 6).. he came out to car assessed her and did confirm no gut sounds/movement and she had no fever/ in fact temp was ok despite being so cold. breathing was good and no other signs or symptoms.. he attributed to something that definately "upset" her and gave her a shot of banamine and long acting penicillin.. also said to keep up with the milk of magnesia a couple more times.. and suggested some warmth to help her "get better".. well I was able to finagle keeping her in a storage/garage that is part of the basement that has heated floors.. so it is definately warmer than the 12 degrees outside and 22 in my barn.. got her settled in the room with some grass hay, minerals, baking soda and warm water and literally not minutes after she became accustomed she began eating hay..licked at her soda and minerals a couple times too.. just went down and checked again and gave her another 20cc of milk of magnesia and a dose of probios max gel.. she was again eating hay. actually saw gut/rumen movement too.. definately not shivering and no teeth grinding at this time.. hoping she is definately on the mend.. if not vet said to bring her back tomorrow evening.. whew.. some relief.. I am guessing that banamine works fast for stomach issues..

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    That is good to hear. I hope she continues to improve.

3. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Glad she is doing better.
    Mitzi

4. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Glad to hear it![​IMG]

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Glad to hear she is doing fine. I would ask the vet for a bottle of Banamine as its a must when they are not feling well as it settles the stomach. I give 1cc per 100# of goat. so with my Nigis I give 1/2cc every 12 hrs till they are feeling better or the fever is gone. Hope she continues to get better....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by