Update on Post 10 with Pictures Cornish X Rock Journal

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Want2BFarmer, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    Just got my peeps 3 days ago and keeping a journal....would everyone want to know the true story of raising these birds. (Cornish X Rocks). I am not a farmer, I have never raised chickens before, and I am hoping the old lady next door does not complain about my flock. I have a 1/2 acre in town, 20 birds, and a 4 by 14 tractor plus .... half my yard is a garden. I want to share the true story. So many people bash the Cornish X Rocks and....I think I can teach everyone the truth....

Let me know if you are interested in hearing my thoughts....by the way....I was at Costco tonight with the wife and telling her we can raise our own birds for less.

Besides .... I can't complain to my wife......[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Good luck with your flock. They are great to raise and eat. In some cases they can be a bit more expensive then going to the grocery store but I would rather spend more and know what went into my birds and how they were treated.

Will they also free range in your yard or just in the pen? Depending on how long you keep them 4x14 may not be big enough for 20 birds, thats all.

Again good luck and have fun.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I did not want Cornish Cross - I figured they were nasty, and I didn't want to mess with them - friend at the feedstore talked me into trying 5 of them - so I figured, why not, that way I can see how they compare (raising them butchering them, etc... to my dual purpose.

Mine are just short of three weeks old and I already know that I will not be buying Cornish Cross again - they'd better taste good for putting up with the stink and for looking so disgusting.

Mine have BluKote on them, because not only were the other chicks picking at them (for not leaving the food dish or giving anyone else a chance to eat) but now I think they are picking at each other. (I had to seperate them at 1 week old to save them from the other chicks)

They are half feathered, because they grow so fast the feathers can't keep up with them - they mob the cage door when I walk into the room (even if they have food, they want MORE). Heaven forbid I should open that door to give them fresh water, they climb all over me and try to get out to get at the food or water before it is even inside the cage. They don't want out to play or explore - they want to get at the food.

Nasty - that's the only word I can use to describe them.

Hope your experience goes better than mine is [​IMG]

[​IMG]

meri

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Just by your picture I could help you out a bit to make your life a bit easier.

First off seperate them from other chicks. The cornish x rock do horrible when put in with another breed other than their own.

Secondly, put them on pine shavings. Raising meat birds on wire is not a good idea as the will develop breast blisters, leg problems and they are more prone to picking as there is nothing else to pick at. Let them dust in the shavings, scratch through them, and let them have the shaving to lay on so it's a bit softer.

You can still raise them in that pen as I had pens similar to yours for quail and sometimes had to use some of them for chickens. Just drill a piece of plywood to the bottom of the wire and then throw in some shavings.

This will help tremedously so I would look into it if I was you.

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I have 15 Cornish Rocks and Cornish Xs for the first time. Mine were born March 22 so we are about the same stage. I split them from my baby laying hens, and I am using shavings. They would eat non-stop if I didn't remove the food at dark. I am trying (hard) to like them, but they are very aggressive, skiddish, and hmmm...how to say this... dinosaur-like.
    While feeling less "loving" about them yesterday, I came across a thread from "PurpleChicken" where she shows the glorious chicken stock she made from Cornish X's and beautiful brown baked chicken.
    Anyway, watching your journal to share the experience.

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    What can one expect when yesterdays' dinasaur evolved into today's chicken.

7. I think this is a great idea. If you can devote the time to them that they need they are a great bird. I adore mine and will never raise another type of meat bird.
    I am completely commited to their care for the 8 weeks they are here. They are treated like royality and better then my pet chickens are treated. I am constantly making sure they have fresh water, are kept clean, etc.
    You cannot house them with other birds. They will get eaten alive, their skin is a rich pink color that begs other types of chickens to peck at it. I have never had a picking problem happen just with them.
    I am tired of people saying horrible things about Cornish Rocks. If they took the time to make sure they knew what they were getting into in the first place and that they had the time to make raising them at least a part time job while they are on this earth, I don't think there would half as many complaints as we see here on BYC. [​IMG]
    Furthermore, mine have always been much more active than what alot of people describe theirs as.
    Mine dust bathe, scratch, explore, run, and even try to fly. They will range. Mine have never just sat around the feeder all day long.
    I don't do anything special, I don't get them anywhere that anyone can't get their own but these are not birds that you can simply toss food and water to and be done with. They need some coddling.

Please get those birds off of that wire, it's going to kill their legs and no wonder they mob you when you come around, they have nothing else to do but eat in there!
    But mine come running when they see me too, I take it as a compliment, they know me and that I provide for them and that makes me feel good.
    Give them a proper home with shavings or grass, you will see a marked difference.

Off my soapbox now [​IMG]

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] I hear ya....

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:[​IMG] I hear ya....

Amen to both of you!!!!! My cornish x's were/are my favorite birds. Since I free range I may have a little different view of raising but......... Cornish X's aren't the sharpest tacks in the shed..... if you leave a 5 gal bucket of water, chances are one of them is going to perch on the edge fall in and be drowned by the next one in line....... But these birds are love magnets...

If they didn't taste so good, I'd replace my dogs!

10. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    March 31, 2009
    Picked up my birds today ….. 20 pullets from Moryers Chickens. I was so excited I could not sleep for weeks and today I am scared. So I got my birds and they where cheaping in the box while I was paying. I can’t wait to see them…..I have never handles a chicken before. I got them home and let the dog out and started introducing them to the brooder. Had it on for 24 hours so it is hot. Placed all 20 chicks in the box and taught them to eat. I was amazed….all you had to do was dunk their head in the water and they drink and then they eat. Three hours after they where in the brooder they started panting. Wife said it’s too hot so we moved the heat lamp up…all is better.

April 1, 2009
    Woke up this morning and they are all sleeping so I fixed them….Woke them up and right away and they started eating. When I came home after work they where moving. While I was looking I thought one had a “pasty butt” But there are so many I lost the one I was watching. I decided that I would let them go for the night… lets see what happens tomorrow.

April 2, 2009
    Woke up and they where sleeping again so yet again it is time to wake them up and clean their water and refill (They drank almost ½ a gallon of water right now). I noticed today that their feeder has moved a lot (They are eating a lot). When I came home after work they were still eating and drinking however our kitchen had a smell today…….Everyone says they stink ….. I cleaned out their pen and they do pee and poop all the time but they are growing before my eyes. I am prepared to move them outside but I enjoy seeing them so we will see how long me and my wife last. In addition, today I checked for “pasty butts” and found two. I got a wet towel and then ended up running their butts under warmer water before the two where clean. I hope they will be better tomorrow….but it is hard to tell them all apart.

April 3, 2009
    They are still eating and drinking like crazy and they are growing feathers on their wings. They look like little racing strips on the birds. I had my Brothers family over tonight and his daughter loved them (she is 3). I can really see that the amount of food they are eating increase.

April 4, 2009
    Still eating, drinking and sleeping …. They are getting bigger and I notice they are getting a lot stronger from when I pick them up. In addition they are much larger…..I can only hold 3 at a time when I watch TV … I used to be able to get 4 in my hands.

Introducing my dog to the chickens
    [​IMG]

Day old chicks pecking feed off of some cardboard
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by