UPdate p 2How long will a chicken last without eating/drinking???

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
My roo is in shock from a fox attack...the rest of the flock is dead. I have tried to get him to eat, but he just sits ... he's obviously in shock.

I've given him electrolytes and sugar in the water (which he doesn't drink) and I've got mealworms and tomatoes (which he typically loves but isn't touching).

How many days can he survive like this? I don't know how to help him.

Last edited:
Well being who I am I would have him in the house w/ me talking to him and praying for him. Oh and being mocked out by my family but I wouldn't care. Hope all goes well and someone will donate some more birds. I know I would. Love ya. Rancher Just noticed, how far is S. Hudson river valley from Syracuse? Craigslist has some chicks. Gotta get back on the horse ya know.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that the attack was dawn Monday. I found him in the woods and brought him back to the coop. He seemed to peck on Monday, but then actually walked up the ramp and sat on the roost for 24 hrs. I thought that I should leave him alone while he was in shock...but now I've brought him down out of the coop (the other survivor died overnight) and I've carried him about and tried to soothe him. Others had suggested the mealworms...so I got them.

This roo is a doll and I don't want to lose him.

Appreciate any ideas. I might contact my vet.

Quote:
Yup, my family thinks I"m nuts. I don't care either. I have been debating bringing him in because of my lab puppy. But maybe I'll figure something out so he's safe and comfortable near me.

I have a vet appt for tomorrow. HOpe he survives.

ps. I'm way south of you - south of Bear Mtn, north of Tappan Zee bridges. Ossining is the town on the river... I'm inland a couple miles.

Hi I was just thinking that if your roo is in shock or depressed and not injured ,that an other hen or two might snap him out of it.I hope he pulls through .
hugs.gif
fl.gif

that's just what I did... I used a baster and ran sugar water over his beak. He took in some... and was swallowing... I've got him next to me in the house. I sure hope he can pull through. I think it's shock and deep depression.

I wanted to wait a few days and see how he does. I'll be looking for a few pullets to cheer him up. thanks

I was going to suggest the same thing...give him a couple of new hens and monitor closely. A long time ago, somebody had the same exact thing happen and the roo was very depressed afterwards. Unfortunately, I can't remember the ending to the story but it wouldn't hurt to try. He's probably feeling like he didn't do his job right, poor thing. Also, try to get some water into him by dribbling it along the edge of his beak; don't force it down! He needs the hydration for sure.

Back
Top Bottom