UPDATE Page 2: Runt hen & slow developer finally lays FIRST egg!!!

HEChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 12, 2009
BuCo, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I got this chick as a 1-week-old from a local gal. I know what adult chickens she had so I know what the possible parents are - but not exactly who her parents are. Her history: she was a runt and for several weeks I wasn't sure she would even make it. However she did, and although growing more slowly than her hatch mates, she has blossomed into a very pretty little hen. However, she is now 6 1/2 months old and still has very little in the way of comb/wattles, and not only is not laying but looks like IF she ever does, it is still a long way out. The most recent photo I have of her is a couple months old - I can go home tonight and take a recent picture. But for purposes of guessing what she is a cross of, I hope this pic will work. Can anyone please give me some guesses as to who her parents are? (I'm not going to say what the possibilities are at this point, because I don't want to influence the answers....)
38935_img_3333.jpg

ETA: In the pic it is a little hard to make out her coloration. Around her neck and on her tail she has a ring of black tipped feathers, while on her chest and wing tips, she has some reddish tips. Otherwise she is all white.

Last edited:
I could see some Delaware in her from the markings. Are her markings barred or just black tipped? I can't tell from this pic too well.

Maybe Columbian Rock or Sussex rather than Delaware then if it isn't barring. She's cute
smile.png
I like the runts, they are little balls of energy and personality in my experience!

I'm with Cindiloohoo - at first I thought Delaware, she looks like some of mine in shape, but if the hackles aren't barred, then either hatchery Delaware ( which will sometimes have the incorrect hackle coloration) or Columbian rock or light Sussex-

Hmmm....interesting....very interesting. Because this gal did not mention having any Delawares but this is the way I was leaning too - this little girl really looks like one! Another question for those experienced with Delawares: do they tend to mature "late"? I.e., are they more likely to be older when they lay their first egg than some other breeds?

I would say she is a pure delaware pullet, I have had a pure Del with no barring on her hackles. I have a feeling that the red is not leakage but it is dirt. She is from a hatchery. right? that would explain why there is no barring in her hackles

Back
Top Bottom