Update (pg 11): Daisy's crop - successful surgery and now eating!

Right, I've got some pure apple puree from the baby section of the local supermarket, but it's also combined with pear puree - will that work for Daisy? I also got some tomato juice for good measure.

Please let her recover. I can't bear being stuck at work today knowing she's in that cage at home, suffering all alone.

I'm off to work where the BYC site doesn't recognize who I am but I am sending more good wishes than our number system can count
fl.gif
hugs.gif
fl.gif

JJ

From what I've read, apple puree is great, given in small amounts. What about the baby parrot formula? I read that it is extreamly nutrient dense. Couldn't you continue feeding her as long as its not anything solid?

Can the vet not siphon or syringe the liquid contents of her crop out??

Again, wish I knew more about this sort of thing. Apparently there is a medicine called diflucan that does not require an empty crop......I had looked up nystatin because I hadn't heard about it, and found this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=207340&p=1

I
just don't know what would be best in this situation. I know the crop needs to empty, but if the poor girl is starving she wont have the stregnth to recover!

In the post I linked, threehorses says to continue feeding very easily dissolved foods only and to discontinue the apple cider vinegar while the bird is on nystatin. Also, she says that probiotics will work in tandem with the nystatin so to continue those. I can't bear the thought of Daisy starving after she's put up such a good fight. Maybe ask your vet about liquid foods to keep her strength up?

What a roller coaster. I'm so sorry that You and Daisy are having to go through this!
hugs.gif

ETA: information about ACV being discontinued.

Last edited:
Quote:
I did just as you suggested - vet said give her 24hrs worth of nystatin before starting to feed her any solid food, but agreed that I could give yoghurt, applesauce and wetted chick crumbs as they will not get stuck in the crop. He also said to continue massage, especially once the crop is full of water after a big drink.

So, I went home on my lunchbreak and gave the nystatin, a crop massage, removed the water with ACV and replaced with plain water, and then filled her little bowl with yoghurt, chick crumbs and some broken up baby rusks with a little water (applesauce is arriving with the grocery delivery tomorrow afternoon). She started pecking at it immediately! She also had a big drink.

I let her out for a little walk around the kitchen and she seemed lively and happy.

Good job I only work Mon-Weds though - the nystatin needs to be given four times a day for five days! Will give her a dose tonight as soon as I get back from work, one before I go to bed, and then as of tomorrow I can space the four doses out throughout the day.

I'm praying for her to get better!
fl.gif
Thanks so much for your support andrea
hugs.gif

LOL. I work thurs-sat. Hooray for three day workweeks! If only I were closer, we could have miss Daisy covered 24/7!

I'm so glad your getting some food in her, I'm sure She needs it!

Question; what are baby rusks? I figure this is either a UK/US thing or a baby thing I don't know about since I don't have kids yet!

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up
wink.png

I think we have the same thing here. I remember my baby sister getting some baby biscuits like that. I was 7, and always wanted to eat them too.

Do you give them as a treat, or have they just gone to Daisy because she's sick? Do you think the amount of iron they have is safe? I'm always looking for healthy treats for my girlies.

I do give them as a treat yes, as our daughter seems to drop more on the carpet than she eats! Whatever we find gets scooped up and thrown out for the girls. They love them. And yes, I would think that if there's only 20% of a 4 month old baby's iron intake in one biscuit, a few leftover crumbs are not going to be harmful to a hen.

And my assumption is that if food is recommended for our precious human babies, then it must be safe for our feathered ones too!

Back
Top Bottom