Update (pg 11): Daisy's crop - successful surgery and now eating!

Okay, so I took Daisy's food (yoghurt and crumbles) and water away when I went to bed last night, and now all the fluid has gone through, the original doughy lump is back, plain to see and feel.

This hen needs surgery, and no amount of mystatin is going to remove that ball of rancid food. She's so thin it's breaking my heart. I am going to phone around some other vets today and try and get her in for the op somewhere else. If we have to keep her like this over the weekend I don't think she will make it.

What a nightmare for her
hit.gif

So sorry to hear that this problem is persisting.
sad.png
hugs.gif

That she's so thin is such a worry. I wonder if there is merit to giving her a few drops of children's liquid vitamins Polyvisol for a bit of strength. Maybe you already are.
Drat and double drat - off to work again but thinking about the both of you so very much.
hugs.gif

JJ

Oh no!

You don't think maybe she just ate too much? If her crop is slow- maybe only let her have like a teaspoon of food at a time. Have her poops gotten any better since she's eating and things were at least moving a little? If she hasn't been allowed food for a day, she probably packed her food, right?

I guess surgery is the best option. Do you have to withhold water for several hours before, like with other animals? Like JJ said....it would probably be good to give her vitamins if she can have any liquid at all.

Maybe ask a vet about a topical numbing instead of anaesthesia. I know we aren't supposed to.use "-cain" ingredients on our birds, but there must be something topical.

I'm Just so scared of the anaesthesia after what you said happened with your henny. And especially now that daisy has lost weight. I just don't know if She will be strong enough for the anaesthesia. Was henny a lot worse than this before she went into surgery?

Please keep us updated
sad.png

I'm lighting a candle for Daisy now. Hang in there.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
Well, I gave it 24 hours, as the vet advised, without solid food, and I've finally given in and let her out on range with the others. She's so happy and active, it's impossible to know that anything was wrong.

She's flapping, preening and digging and not eating anything naughty, that I can see. I'm continuing with the nystatin, but if this is the end, I can't let her go to the rainbow bridge in a cage in our downstairs toilet.

I've continued to throw out baby rusks and crisps and natural yoghurt mixed with crumbles, and she's eating them. Haven't seen any more poo yet, but there was something more solid in her cage this morning, which must be a good sign.

I'm going to try a systemic antifungal such as diflucan, but I don't want to overdose. Anyone know how much I should give?

I searched all through this forum and Google. I only found one post with diflucan dosage for chickens and it was 1/4 of a pill daily, for 4 days. It was for vent gleet..here's the post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=306210

The dosage information is on the last page.

I guess I understand why you let Her back out. I wouldn't want one of my girls to be miserable if she might not make it. Are you still going to try to get surgery? How is her crop feeling now?

Quote:
Brilliant! Andrea, if I were nearer, I would kiss you!
lol.png

Am going to get some of the diflucan tomorrow and use it together with the nystatin. It can't hurt, as I'm sure she'll die without it anyway. And I'm sure our other girl Bella has vent gleet, so I can always use the topical cream that it comes with on her! (Her bottom has been red raw for months, but it doesn't seem to bother her.)

Daisy's crop is still feeling mushy, but not as bad as it was to start with. She's eating well and flapping about the garden just like she always did. I have put her back in the cage for the night so I can see what her droppings are like tomorrow. My plan is to see how her crop feels tomorrow and make a decision. Our proper surgical vet is back on Tuesday, so if she continues to stay perky I might try and last her out till then. If not, I will find another vet who can empty out that crop asap!

And this is such a bad time for all this happen - I've got a broody with five gorgeous four-week-old chicks right now, and I'm not spending any time enjoying them. Must try and spend a few minutes with them tomorrow...

Anyway, it's bedtime in my neck of the woods (our daughter gets up at 6am, without fail!), so I'll be back with more tomorrow. Andrea, did I mention you're a star??!?!?
hugs.gif

Last edited:
LOL. Virtual internet kiss accepted
wink.png

I just wish I had some actual experience to share. All I can do is search and post links!
roll.png

But, selfishly, this is a great experience for me. I'm a super paranoid chickie momma, and my two biggest concerns are crop issues and internal laying. I'm terrified of both, and trying to help you with Daisy has given me a lot of good ideas.

Give Daisy some love for me, and I hope you get to spend some time with those chicks! I so miss my girls being spunky little balls of fluff!

I spoke with the vet today. He says that I should keep Daisy's belly full over the weekend with soft and easily digested foods, then next week they will if neccessary surgically empty the crop using a local anaesthetic. He's hopeful that the nystatin will help the crop muscles to start working again and it might pass on it's own before then. In meantime, she's out in the garden digging and pecking and generally looking happy, so that's where I'm leaving her. She looks so much happier now.

At least she won't have to have a general anaesthetic anyway - that's good news
smile.png

I've been following your thread from the beginning, and I just have to say that you are one dedicated chicken owner. No one can say that you haven't gone the full mile for her. Continued good luck with this saga - we're all pulling for her.

Hooray Cara! I'm so glad to hear good news and that the vet has a plan!
celebrate.gif

Blefky, I second your comments. She really has gone above and beyond! What a good chicken momma!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom