****Update pg 5 for 10 week old pullet head injury, she is gone***

hawtchick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
New Hampshire
I went in to say goodnight to my hens and chicks and saw a dark shadow in the corner of the chick coop and realized it was one of my 10 week old columbian wyandottes. She was laying on her side, and kinda looked lke she may have been there for a bit but who knows.
The roost had fallen down, but it was 12 inches off the ground if that.
Her eyes are closed, but has managed to swallow a bit of water mixed with Rescue rememdy, and a bit of sugar water.
She doesn't look good. Just laying there with her face basically down, but still breathing and will swallow if I open the kennel door.
I have her inside with me for the night.
Am I missing something.
There are no signs of injury, and she will move her legs but will not stand.
This is so sad.....watching and waiting.
Thank you,

Jess
sad.png

Last edited:
Poor thing, maybe it fell on her? Saw on another post that says to keep them upright if you can to avoid pnuemonia type stuff. Can you put a towel in a circle maybe and place her in the center. Can she lift her head?

Quote:
This is going to seem dumb, but I don't know if she can lift her head because I have been assisting her drink. I feel like she moves it a little shen she gets ready to swallow.
I have her resting upright as well.
Thank you!!

Thne roost is just a 1 inch round tree branch, but I worry that maybe a support inside the coop could have done it but I don't know. I am just in shock.
sad.png

Last edited:
Oh gosh - I'm so sorry - it's so sad. I hope that she will revive.
Can you think of anything else? What are the weather conditions where you are? Could there have been a fight that caused the roost to fall down? Ugh - I don't know.
Do you know if she had been eating and drinking and pooping okay? A very little bit of electrolytes may be in order..
Hang in there - sending good wishes for her.
JJ

Quote:
It's been very rainy, but today was dry. she was out today and everyone seemed fine. Poos seemed fine, nothing out of the ordinary.
If it is a back injury, can they rally? I do have electrolytes...she is so frail I hate to keep bothering her. I know it's for her own good though.
I guess I will just have to wait it out the night.
Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

It probably is a mostly watch and wait
sad.png
. Sounds like she sustained some kind of injury from the fall or getting hit with something. Hopefully with time and rest under your watchful eye she will come around. With any luck at all, maybe she can get some rest.
It's so hard - I'd be holding my breath too - and pretty much am, hoping for her and for you that this will turn out okay.
hugs.gif

JJ

She seems to be holding her head upright a little more. Not so "face in the shavings" like.
Her eyes are still closed, and very little movement.
I was talking ot DH about her, and he said that a brick fell over inside the coop when he was locking them up, but because of the set up, he was outside and the chicks and the brick was inside.
I don't see any head trauma. I don't know what is in store for us.
Poor girl.
idunno.gif

A brick - so heavy - not good. Was it near where you found her?
Poor little one...must really hurt
sad.png

Hoping that somehow she gets through this.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom