UPDATE pg2: 12 day old kitten constipated...not looking good - HELP!!!

kryptoniteqhs

Rosecomb Rich
12 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Norco, CA
Ok so there mother has been gone 2 days now. I only found the kittens today. All but one are doing great. The one is lathargic and wont nurse. HELP??

Last edited:
Try some of the clear karo syrup. Rub it on the kittens lips and tounge. Usually that will do the trick.

Thank you for taking them in.
hugs.gif

ETA; About how old are they? Are there eyes open yet? Check them for fleas. If they do have fleas, I would bath them with some dawn, get them really soaped up, and then let it sit for a couple min to suffocate the fleas. Then rise them and get all the soap out. Make sure to dry them good with a hairdryer, and make sure it isnt too hot.

Last year I took in a small kitten, about 5 weeks old. She was covered in fleas. I gave her a bath, and all of the fleas went to her head. So I had to pick each one out with a tweezer. Sadly, she passed away about 3 days later. I think all of the fleas caused her to become anemic. Her gums were almost white.

Last edited:
how old are they? it may have gotten chilled,it needs to be warmed up before you feed it,best is a heat pad,that will warm its internal temp..some are just not going to make it..
sad.png

If you can't get kitten formula, use canned milk... there is a recipe on-line for kitten replacement formula-- but I couldn't find the link...

You may have to force-feed... start out with a finger dipped in it and put some in it's mouth... keep it warm, and bundled in a towel-- and actually massage her/him (like momma licking it) it does help !

Good Luck hun!

Kittens can't pee or poop without mom stimulating them. She will lick them (you know where). When fostering kittens you can stimulate with a cotton ball dipped into warm water. Gently rub back and forth. Not necessary if mom is licking them. Good Luck, I fostered 3 baby kittens a few years ago. Still have one.

Imp

ETA Looks like SundownWaterfowl types faster than, but who doesn't.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I read somewhere that a drop of maple syrup could help bc of all the sugars. I almost took this one to the vet today but backed out at the last minute bc I thought it was "improving." Well I was wrong. If she makes it through the night then we are going tomorrow. I have fostered tons and tons of kittens so Ive gotten good at this, just never had one so lethargic. They normally take a while to get used to the nipple, but the others have done it and this one has NO interest at all. I have been stimulating them all. I have gotten all of them to pee but none to poo. There was a little poo stuck to this one (half in, half out) when I found it and I got it out. They havent eaten in 2 days until today and I am hoping that their little bodies just need more time to completely digest the formula before they poo. I think they are dehydrated from not having anything to eat or drink and their pee is real yellow. I gave the lethargic one some water, thinking that if its dehydrated that the formula by itself may not be enough. Of course I bearly got any down it. Ive rubbed its little belly and stuff and didnt seem to help, it actually cries more when I do that so Im thinking its tummy might hurt. Its also not peeing nearly as easy or as much as it did before.

Last edited:
Aww, poor babies. Go straight to the pet store and get some milk replacer and a bottle. Warm the milk a bit and just squeeze a drop out at a time into the babies mouth. They never suckle on the rubber nipple. They usually fight it, but you have to do it! Let us know how it goes.

I just read the rest of the posts. You have done this before
smile.png
While I was growing up, my mom breed kittens and I would always fight my hardest and cry my eyes out for the weak ones. Sometimes they can have a cleft pallet or something else wrong and there is no hope
sad.png
Just keep it with you constantly and purr at it. Pet it to stimulate it like mama would and get it to meow and fight to live. At least the little guy seems to be crying, which is good.

Back
Top Bottom