**UPDATE Pg2** Chick with NO Appetite & Very Thin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bleenie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Some Background:

One of my chicks has been acting funny for over a week now. I saw some blood in some poo before so i treated with Sulmet for Cocci, I lost 1 pullet but the rest are still fine.. with the exception of this one. I can tell she's ate nothing because her crop is totally empty. she wont touch the cottage cheese i put in the brooder, or crumbles and i don't think she ate any of the boiled eggs i gave them this morning... that the others went crazy for. I moved her into the brooder with the younger chicks because they have a red heat bulb & i don't want her to be cold.

Current Symptoms:

She's a little "puffy" like she's cold
    She has NO appetite
    VERY skinny/light

Does anyone have ANY IDEA what could Possibly be wrong with this little girl?? I don't know how they would have gotten them in the brooder but the only other thing i can think of is worms?? She's about 5 weeks old right now & i just finished Cocci treatment and i was thinking of worming them, but i am worried about shocking her little system. I just don't know what to do for her & i don't want to lose her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

2. friend of chickens

friend of chickens In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    I thought maybe one of my young chicks had worms, too, and treated it after I noticed it looked poorly.-- I think I sent it to chicken heaven faster than it would have gone had I not. [​IMG] Iwouldn't worm her right now! If I were you, I'd isolate her. I wouldn't put her with babies. Sometimes sick chicks will eat bread dipped in water, but if she's so sick, she might already be on her way out. I'm so sorry, I hope you have better luck than I have had with sick chicks like that!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How many days did you treat for coccidiosis?

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I treated 2 days at full strength and then 4 days at half strength, like it says on the bottle.

5. ChickensAreSweet

I don't know the answer to your questions- I hope your little one will be ok!!![​IMG]

Your length of treatment is the same as what I saw when I researched it. I too would be careful about putting a sick chick in with babies.

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    The chick still has coccidiosis, sometimes it takes them awhile to recover. Sometimes the damage to the intestines is so severe they never recover

7. ChickensAreSweet

Does this mean she needs to retreat the chickens, Pine Grove?

8. ChickensAreSweet

I'm on my 2nd round of treatment for cocci with corid. I lost one of my silkies with the same symptoms as yours, Bleenie, right after I started treating with corid.

The bloody poops reappeared after a couple of days after my first round of treatment. This time I'm going to treat for 7 days instead of 5.

That's why I am asking about if she needs to retreat.

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I haven't seen anymore bloody poo in the brooder but I can seperate her into a brooder in the house, that way i can keep a closer eye on her too. The only stuff the local feed stores sell is Sulmet & another medication that is in powder form, i can't remember the name, just that it's about $20 for the packet & is next to the Tetracycline. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Should I start treatment again on the whole batch?

10. sleepy

sleepy Songster

Aug 17, 2010
    Palmdale,Ca
    Had this problem once when i first started one of my stags was really skinny and woulnt eat much he only pecked at the food but woulnt eat completely what worked for me is to put garlic in the water a clove or two, a natural way but a very effective it helps her get rid of any perasites that she has internaly also helps to get rid of worms and it gives them power and appatite of course i would isolate her and have her eating as much as she can and drinking water and if your worried about the others do the same put a clove or two of garlic in there water trust me it helps them alot got this advise from very well know Oriental Breeders i keep garlic in there water and there healthy as can be no problems at all

regards, Alex

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by