Update-PIP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosco, Dec 17, 2009.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    I am hoping the development i see in a few of the fifteen eggs continues.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    hmm, the odt to pdf to png didn't keep the clarity. HA!

air sacs in at least 2, 3, 9, 13 & 15. Reading left to right and down.

obvious development in 2, 13 & 14.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    no comments?

i candled the eggs l............

eerrrrr!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I really can't make anything out on the picture, sorry. It would be best to take individual egg pics, upload them in photobucket (or related site) and then post a link to go look at full size pics. Or you can post the full size pics right on here. I'm sure you'd get some feedback if the pics were larger to see the egg contents better.

5. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    All -

Day 14 Candling doesn't indicate development. But i'm a newbie. Please judge and write opinion. I see almost no change in % dark area (development within). I've not seen any movement. although, we've been using a 40W bulb and reducing width of light path using a roll of Toilet Paper. No matter, i see little change within the eggs.

#3: it looks the same as it did on day 8.
    [​IMG]

#2: i think it has become more translucent. it appeared darker on day 8.
    [​IMG]

#6: i see no increase in darkness since day 8.
    [​IMG]

#13: is totally dark excepting the large end's air sac. But, it was very dark throughout egg on day 8
    [​IMG]

#14: there appears to be no difference in the egg since day 8.
    [​IMG]

The eggs that aren't shown in photos here were still clear as a bell. similar or more translucent than #3 above. Even just one would be cool. but still, its been much fun.

Temperature, according to human thermometer, indicates 99.8F above eggs while Acurite on the other side of Egg Tray (horizontally "other side") indicates 100F. temperature has not moved out of 99-100F range. Humidity is holding at ____% and steady. Once, it dipped to 21% for a short time. i won't indicate the humidity i'm keeping mine at since i'd then be prompted to discuss the conditions of the outside air being pulled in/through.

I'd love to hear experienced candler's opinions or fellow newbie cheers.

-r

6. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Mahroni and Other New Years Hatchers,

i think this means we're out of the New Year's Hatch Group.

What happened was we collected eggs from hens that had been separated from Roosters for 2 weeks and three of the four hens hens were pullets. We wanted to give it a shot. even if just a "crap shot." it's been lots of fun and it seemed we had growth in several on day 8.

We are happy to have learned so much during the first four weeks of owning chickens.

[​IMG] & [​IMG]

-rosco & robin

7. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Oh Rosco, I don't see anything either. So sorry. But, for what it's worth, those are some excellent candling photos! I tried to take some this morning for day 18, and couldn't get one picture to come out worth a darn. Did you see any veining on either day 8 or day 14? I looked really hard at your pics, glasses on/glasses off, squinting, etc., and couldn't see any. I even had my son look with his "young eyes", but he didn't see any either.

8. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Quote:DoveCanyon,
    HELLO! You're up early this morning. Thank you to both you and your son for looking and looking closely for any sign of hope.

No veins were visible on day's 8 or 14. We were suprised to see the growth noted above on Day 8 Candling. i wonder what i'll find in the "eggtopsies" after all hope of hatch is gone (day 25 or so?). Another lesson learned. The next hatch will involve better pictures and a "Day 0 Candling" will be included in the records.

What do yall make of the really dark egg, #13? It was dark on day #8, but today it was really dark. I sure hope that isn't a sign of being rotten and 'bout to burst.!.

I'm anxious to see any photos yall post!

-r

9. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    I was going to continue with this incubation, even though i've little of an expectation for any development, other than bacterial. BUT, I just remembered i'd been holstering a back-up set of eggs (i've been turning them and keeping an eye on the temperature but had forgotten i could use them if some of these failed! and many did). anyhoo, I gave the old set a "Swith-er-Roo" by substituting these "backup eggs for Dud's.

Anyhoo, I've given them a good shake and they still sound "liquidy." Chiselled into the egg: "Date Collected;" "Egg temp at Collection;" "location in incubator" and in some, "I've chiselled around the egg sac."

So here are the pictures of the substitute's (2nd stringer's) just after being shaken to make sure the yolk/albumen/embryonic tissue is homogenous throughout interior of egg. I've not shaken the "First Stringer's" since Day 8.

New #4:
    [​IMG]

New #5:
    [​IMG]

New #7:
    [​IMG]

New #8:
    [​IMG]

New #10:
    [​IMG]

New #11:
    [​IMG]

New #12:
    [​IMG]

New #15:
    [​IMG]

Now, the "1st Stringer's," on their Day 18 of incubation will be dropped down to the hardware wire on far side from fan and light. the "2nd STringer's" will remain in the basket. this will allow concurrent lockdown and turning for the two groups.

Day 18 for "1st Stringer's" is this Sunday, December 27th.

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Why are you shaking them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by