UPDATE: purple hull jelly AND watermelon rind pickles!

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
I know this forum is full of people like me who can't stand to waste anything, so I figured I'd share what I just learned. If I'm the last person in the world to know this, then just humor me.
roll.png

I just finished making jelly from the hulls of the purple-hull peas I shelled and put up in the freezer. When I was looking for recipes for things to make with the peas besides Hoppin' John, I kept stumbling across references to this jelly, and that it tastes like grape jelly! Well, I had to try it.

Verdict: Well, it DOES taste like grape jelly! Kind of. I mean, the flavor isn't nearly as intense as if you'd used actual grapes, but then, you're not using real juice to start with. You're boiling the "essence" out of the hulls (like making tea, kinda), and then using that liquid (strained) as your "juice." I added a little lemon juice, then just the sugar and pectin.

When it was done, I had my husband taste it, and he said, "That's good!" I asked him what flavor he thought it was, and he tasted again, thought about it, and said, "Grape?" Success!
lol.png

So, anyway, here's a use for something you might normally throw out on the compost heap. I pretty much packed a pot full of the hulls, then covered them with water and boiled. The recipe I used called for 4 cups of the hull "tea," 5 cups of sugar, a box of Sure-Jell, and a couple tablespoons of lemon juice (I used closer to 3).

Last edited:
No composting of the hulls! Animals love them as feed!

I can't even find purple hull peas up here.
sad.png
I miss them and pink eyes and lady fingers and butter peas.

PurpleHull Pea Jelly, from the Emerson, Arkansas PurpleHull Pea Festival & World Championship Rotary Tiller Race Web site:
www.purplehull.com

4 cups juice (see below)
5 cups sugar
1 package Surejell
1/2 tsp. butter*
2 Tablespoons lemon juice**

*I did not use butter.
**Based on several other recipes I found, I added a little over 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

This jelly is made from the hulls rather than the peas. Wash empty hulls three or four times.
Boil hulls until tender. Strain juice. Let juice boil, add Surejell and butter. When this comes to a rolling boil, add sugar. Let come to a rolling boil again. Let boil for 15 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes. Skim. Pour into jars and seal.

Purple hull peas:

2684732474_8516c4f5fd.jpg

2684732166_6ddf721c7f.jpg

2684732770_ba7af8f08d.jpg

I found reference to making jelly with all kinds of pea hulls, which supposedly each yield different flavors. Here's one quote I ran across at Cooks.com:

"Purple hull peas produce grape flavored jelly. White crowder peas produce honey flavored jelly. Lady peas make apple jelly; and by combining the hulls of crowder, purple, whippoorwill and lady peas a plum tasting jelly results."

My family and I made some of this jelly a month ago! Your right It is great! I'm so glad thet you posted the recipe for it! My mom was teaching my sis and I how to make jelly. Shes got all these recipes in her head, and so when someone asked me how we did it, I had no exact measurements or anything! I agree, it is so awsome to make something great out of something that you usually throw away!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom