UPDATE! Sad News!

Thanks Alyssa. Please know that it was nothing you did, ok. It was totally something with the incubation. They all formed, 10 out of 10 had fully formed chicks. That is amazing for shipped eggs. I have a few stick wet pics I will try to post in a little while.

Marie

PS.

Congrats on the other hatches everyone

Last edited:
Quote:
Boo hoo! My DH told me I wasn't allowed to have Chicken Pops. And when DD came down with a fever he said, "How much did you pay her for that?" Mean, mean old man!!!!!!!

Glad everyone has chickies!!
jumpy.gif

How can the membranes be dry, but the chicks be sticky? Isn't that a contradiction in humidity issues? Because my babes were sticky, but their membranes got sooo tough while they were hatching that it looked like a 2nd shell!

All are doing ok so far. DH just called and I had him dip their beaks in some water with electrolytes. Even the one with the yolk out is ok. I put some antibiotic ointment on it to keep it from being dry and put some gauze on like a diaper. Here is a picture:

IMG_0702.jpg

And here are a couple of pics of the wet chicks. Will of course get more once they dry and fluff up.

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Will keep you updated.

Marie

Thats what happened to some of mine! I had to leave one in the "hospital bator" this morning while I went to town - he had been like yours all night, I too wrapped him in gauze, and he just layed there, beeping every now and then. Today when I got home he was hopping around all over, I couldnt tell him apart from the other chickie in that bator? And they were almost crunchy, not fluffy for a long time...I know something was goofed up, and I have a Genesis 1588 with automatic turner, followed instructions to a t, and had 3 temp/humidity gauges going? What else can I do? Oh well, Time will tell.
I sure hope your little one gets better - looks almost like a diaper? Thats very clever -

Keep us updated, this is amazing - love your pics!

So far so good, DH said it was still alive at noon and I will call him in a bit to check again. He dipped all their beaks in the warm water with electrolytes. So maybe that will help.

I don't know what else you could have done either. I had a perfect hatch on my last batch, so you just never know.

Marie

Lost one chick, the second photo with the curled toes. I don't know what happened, he was fine this morning. Has been eating and everything. I am devastated. And the little one at the top that was so weak was doing much better but DH says it does not look good either. I just don't know? I am at work so it is so hard. Guess whatever happens will have to happen until I can get there. Dang it, I hate that.

Marie

I've had a couple like that and if kept warm and clean and quiet they seem to absorb and do OK. A little sack is not a problem. Your look great!

Well the other weak chick was dead when I got home the other day after posting. Then on Friday, another healthy looking one died. Not sure what could be going on. The last 3 look fine so far. I have never had this happen. I guess something went seriously wrong in incubation. They all made it to the hatcher so should have been ok. But I guess you never know. Will keep you posted.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom