Update.. she died... HELP! Girl is dying in my lap...

klmclain1

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
History:

two weeks ago, I thought Gertie (8 month old Black Australorp) had EYP. She was very lethargic, obviously not feeling well, yellow cooked-yolk looking strands in clear liquid for poop. Vet gave her penicillin (3/4 cc for 3 days) and she perked right up although I'm not sure she's laying yet.

two days ago, I noticed Betty (same breed/age) starting down the same path - yesterday was worse, this morning I think she's dying in my lap.

Since it's a second chicken, I'm seriously doubting the EYP diagnosis in Gertie. Nothing on the poop chart fits. I used Eprinex pour-on last night hoping maybe it was worms. But she's getting worse.

What could she have thats:
contagious
gives her that kind of poop
pale comb and wattles (she's picked on by my leghorns and they repeatedly pull her neck feathers and rip off her comb)
is cured/healed by penicillin
is NOT helped with Eprinex

I've got Valbazen on hand as well as Ivermectin injectible.

Please help! I don't think she's going to last much longer....
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like she needs a penicillin injection. Is there any way to get some and give it to her today? If you've already treated with Eprinex I'm not sure I'd use any other type of wormer on her.

Last edited:
I've gotten some smashed pears and juice (home canned) down her as well as some whipped raw egg - all by semi-forced feeding. Since I'm talking last-ditch-effort, should I go ahead and try the Valbazen? I can't reach the vet.

I'm so sad. I had put her in a box to rest. I heard her go into convulsions - and by the time I got there, she had died. She was a very sweet girl and I thank her for all the eggs she gave me. I've ordered penicillin online just in case this is contageous since it cured my last girl - I'll be ready.

Sorry about your hen. Good idea on the penicillin. I keep some around also as well as a bunch of other poultry and goat first aid items. I've even used some of the items on myself in an emergency!

I'm so sorry Gertie is gone.
hugs.gif

My 2-1/2 year old EE, Zsa Zsa, just died overnight 2 nights ago. It's very hard to lose these sweet birds. We miss them terribly.

Back
Top Bottom