UPDATE: Sick Chick Wry Neck -----FIXED---- IN 3 HOURS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennypen, May 6, 2011.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    It's not cocci. I've been treating with that since hatch last Saturday. When I hold this chick in my lap, it wants to put it's head totally back onto it's back. The back of the head will be touching the back and the beak will be pointed upwards. It's croop seems full. I feed chick starter. This is the first chick out of 100 or so that has ever gotten sick. I've never lost a chick before.

I gave it a few cc's of vitamin water and wrapped it in a washcloth and then sectioned it off from the other chicks.

The only thing that I can think of is some kind of injury. I have the 6 day olds and then some that are several weeks older all mixed.

Does this sound like an injury or a disease?

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Keep it warm, make sure it's eating & drinking, check for pasty bottom, offer Gatorade...
    Not a whole lot you can do for really young chicks, unfortunately.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It sounds like wry neck. I would get some Poly-Vi-Sol to give the chick by mouth for a couple days to a week. If that doesn't perk the chick up then probably nothing is going to.

Good luck.

4. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    What causes Wry neck?

I'll give it that as well. A drop 3x/day? What is the dosage for something like this?

5. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Just read to give Vit E w/selenium in gel caps. Poke a hole in the cap and give a drop or two until it clears up.

But still, what causes this? This is the first one I've ever had.

6. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Update: All better!!! Definitely Selenium related!! [​IMG]

I mixed up some vitamin water: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=42

And
    with a 1ml syringe, I gave the chick 3ml of this water, seperated it from the other chicks so it had peace and quiet during the day. On the way home from work I stopped at Wal-mart and bought some selenium tablets. Since they are tablet form I had to chop off a little hunk and disolve it in the vitamin water. I then gave the chick 3 more syringes of this mixture and within 3 hours of that mixture, it was up and walking around so well I had a very hard time figuring out which chick had the problem.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] great news!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by