*Update* Silkies Hatched! Pics page 3

No, i have been checking so much my ankles are swollen from standing up for so long. It looks like movement on both eggs has stopped. i hope they are just resting up for the big push. i really hope they are okay.
sad.png

It is only Day 20, so will give them until tomorrow until i really worry.

Quote:
opening the bator does not hurt the eggs....I know thats a big thing everybody says but from my experience..opening the lid does not hurt....I open mine all the time during all stages of the hatch with no problem....I usually have a 100% hatch rate( on my own eggs that have not been shipped) I hatch eggs all year round...so Ive hatched alot of eggs.
Just try not to worry about it to much....it used to be very stressful when I first started hatching eggs but it gets easier...
big_smile.png

I have had eggs pip on the wrong end too...some hatched on their own with no problem and some had to have help....I would just watch it....I havent had to many do that though. If you need to help then go ahead....I help on mine if I think they need it.

Last edited:
Hi Air!!!!! I've been reading this post and waiting to see what happens. Hope your chick makes it out. Hope they ALL do for that matter.
fl.gif
pop.gif
fl.gif
pop.gif
fl.gif
pop.gif

Hey Lurky! While we wait for Airheart to post, just wanted to tell you my hen is doing good. She is moulting like crazy. I've never seen a more severe case. I've been feeding her cooked egg for extra protein and it's seems to help. She even joined the flock yesterday. I think she's gonna make it.

Wow Suebee, that is great news. So glad she's doing better. i'm sure all the tender loving care is the reason.

Now, on my end, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (which has happened more than once in my life), we don't have any actual pips here. i thought for sure i was seeing the small outlines of the pip forming yesterday - perhaps i was. Both eggs were rocking. i pulled them out last night to inspect and the shells had not been completely broken through. i tapped and chirped at the eggs - nothing. But after putting them back in the incubator, i heard someone chirp.

Now today, the one egg where i was seeing the pip forming at the larger end is rocking and chirping like crazy, so i suspect that one is coming soon. The other egg does not seem to be moving at all. i'm wondering if it had started to pip at the wrong end and then died. Then the egg with the crack in the side is not moving or chirping at all. i don't have a good feeling about that one.

i'm not sure what to do. Perhaps wait until this rocking egg hatches, then when i move the chick to the brooder i can take the other eggs out and tap and chirp at them again. i had this happen last hatch, where i saw a pip forming on one of the eggs, but it never completely broke through. i gave it too much time to try to hatch on it's own, as i could hear it chirping. Then when i finally decided to help, i opened it up to find a completely formed dead chick trapped inside a very thick dry membrane. i sure don't want that to happen again.

Okay, back to Egg Watch!

Woo Hooooo!
yippiechickie.gif

Air, I wouldn't mess with the other ones...it may take another day for them to hatch!

Can't wait to read your next post.

Back
Top Bottom