*Update* Silkies Hatched! Pics page 3

Okay, i obviously need reading glasses. Or maybe i was just staring at the eggs so hard yesterday i was one step away from seeing the Virgin Mary's face appear. But we now have two real live pips, shells broken open, beaks poking in and out - both on the large end. Phew! Lot's of chirping and rocking. Trying to keep an eye on the temps as they are climbing a bit, as expected. But i think two little bundles of joy will arrive sometime today or tonight.
jumpy.gif
:jumpy

Well, i was concerned about the first pip, so pulled the shell back a little. Could not see the beak, so pulled the shell back a ways. The air sac is huge. Most hatches i have helped with, the chick fills the egg. Not the case here. i pulled back until i could see the beak, and then there was some blood, so i wrapped the egg in a warm wet paper towel and put her back in. Feel better that i can see her beak now, so at least she's getting air.

i think i will leave them be for a while, just watch the humidity and temps and give them time to do what they need to do inside those eggs.

Oh gosh, i have helped a little more. There is a black one and a white one. i have named them Hope and Destiny. The black one, the teeny one, seems very wrapped up and not ready to come out. The white one has a larger beak and is almost ready to break free. i candled the cracked egg and the chick had expired, so these two are the only ones left out of nine eggs.

It's going to be a long night.

The babies hatched at 4am this morning.
jumpy.gif
One white and one black. The little white one is doing good and can sit up and move around pretty well. The black one lay there for a long time, but is now finally able to get into a sitting position. She is still pretty weak - i hope she makes it. Although, i've had newborn chicks look much worse at birth and do just fine.

i will post more pics after they dry off and i move them to the brooder. They both have really nice vaulted skulls. i'm done hatching for this year. It's exhausting!
th.gif

baby.jpg

babies.jpg

Back
Top Bottom