*Update* Silkies Hatched! Pics page 3

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
Well, this has been a stressful hatch. Bought 9 fertile silkie hatching eggs for my broody hen. One had the teeniest scratch on it so tossed that one, just to be safe. Three eggs got cracked. First one by a hen on Day 9, had a chick inside, and tried to seal with wax. But it was weeping badly so tossed that one. Then i cracked one pulling a broody off the nest to check for cracked eggs.
he.gif
No one was inside that egg, thankfully. Then a couple days ago, there was a three-hen pile up in the nest box and one of the fertile eggs got booted out onto the coop floor. That one does have a chick inside, wasn't weeping, so i sealed it with wax and put it in the incubator.

To prevent further hen mishaps, i tried transferring the primary broody to separate quarters yesterday. In the process, i candled the 5 remaining eggs in the nest. Very surprised to find that only 2 had chicks inside. i know there were more developing 10 days ago, so don't know what happened there. Anyhow, my broody did not want to be in a separate area and starting screaming her head off, and would not sit on the nest.
barnie.gif
SO - i decided to take over and put those two remaining eggs in the bator with the cracked one.

Now the bator watch begins. Temps and humidity holding good. i'm hoping at least two hatch.
fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought silkie eggs from Tom of Kentucky Silkies. He has some gorgeous birds, color combinations i've never seen before.

. . . and the good news is, i think i see a pip forming on one of the eggs. Guess it's time i get a brooder set up!

Watch the one pipping on the wrong end close. I had one do that and she needed help out. She is doing great today and just turned 2 months old!

Sort of. From what i've read, pipping on the small end means they don't hit the air sac, so might not be able to breath. Also, the positioning makes it difficult for them to move around to zip.

i was a breach birth, and they had to use forceps to get me out. My mom said it felt like i was hanging on inside with my teeth.
smile.png

i might need teeny tiny forceps for this little chick.

Sounds like she is able to move some. That is good. Listen for her peeps or if you can see her breathing watch/listen. If she should appear to be getting weak then you may want to step in and help.

You know, i'm not hearing any peeping from either of the two eggs, but seeing rocking and the pip forming. The other egg has a complete piece of shell edged out, but it hasn't popped off yet. The one pipping on the small end, i see it pecked almost two thirds of the way. We're only on day 20, but they were under my broodies until yesterday and it has been super hot here. i'm trying so hard to keep my paws off the bator, as i think a lot of my problems in the past have been due to me opening it for any number of reasons.

i did come up with a good way to add water without opening the lid. Used some flexible plastic tubing laying around from our aquarium, fed that down through one of the vent holes, then dripped water down with an eye dropper. Finally getting the humidity close to 60%.

i forgot how stressful this is.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom