UPDATE: Slipped tendon in 4-day old bantam chick - any hope?

As long as it isn't swollen to the point of broken skin, then she has a chance. Just make sure to recheck every couple days because with chicks growing so fast you don't want it to get tight. Also, I have read to give a liquid vit B complex with niacin as sometimes this can be due, in part, to a deficiency. Good job, hope she makes a recovery!

I just took the bandage off and she is fine so far!!
ya.gif
I hope that it holds but if it doesn't, I will rebandage for another week.
BYC + prayers = SUCCESS !!!!!! Thank you.

wee.gif

Last edited:
I hope we could help these chicks
know I have three chicky even Brahama gets it, I thought brahama is so tough . there is no swollen in hock, no pain.

their disease indication are :-

my chicks are about 5 weeks, low growing breed, most of them are mixed , brahama + sussex , brahama+ rhoad- irland ..........
I give them soya- beans ,bread, oaths, mixed cereal , multivit.

1- at first day like to site down most of time and it seems standing for a long time hurt them.
2- second day they walk but sometime in back of knee and sometime right.
3- third day they don't use their toes of both foot and walk on their knees.
4- they drink, eat and even walk a little all the time the same level before they are sick.
5- they can't walk for a long distance.seems hurt them.
6- no swollen or red spot their legs look totaly healthy.
7- when you try to bring their toes to the right place seems there is no pain.
106200_hpim2591.jpg

Last edited:
Oh no, what does that mean, lower part of the leg? It is at the joint that I can feel it slip and her toes were affected too. Does it happen to the upper leg too? I tried to push it into place at the joint and then wrap in the direction that I pushed the tendon. It slid into place easier with her leg bent than it did straight, but the wrap covers most of her leg. This is so stressful.
Well you learnsomething new every day
VET WRAP SOLD AT HORSE FEED STORES.
gLAD IT WORKED FOR THE
SLPED TENON

know I have three chicky even Brahama gets it, I thought brahama is so tough . there is no swollen in hock, no pain.

my chicks are about 5 weeks, low growing breed, most of them are mixed , brahama + sussex , brahama+ rhoad- irland ..........

1- at first day like to site down most of time and it seems standing for a long time hurt them.
4- they drink, eat and even walk a little all the time the same level before they are sick.
106200_hpim2591.jpg

In reading your listof what you feed them, I doubt they have enough protein to make their bodies and bones grow. This is what is causing them to get this problem.

IE: I give them soya- beans ,bread, oaths, mixed cereal , multivit.

why not use 16% grower feed for chicks?

DID YOU TAKE ONE TO THE VET?

HOW MANY GENERATIONS OF CHICKS DO THIS?

then use the above mix as a treat ONCE A DAY.
Hopefully you will feed 16%protein Chic starter next time.
THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THESE CHICKS.
YOU CAN TRY AND FEED 16% CHICK STARTER NOW TO THEM AT THIS AGE?
AND DO NOT FEED YOUR ORIGINAL FEED MIXTURE AT ALL.,
AS IT IS WHATS CAUSING THIS LEG PROBLEM ON THE CHICKS.

Last edited:

106200_hpim2591.jpg
SOME INFORMATION TO HELP YOU OUT HERE IS:

Correct Feed and Supplements

• It is IMPORTANT to give chickens poultry feed that has been formulated with essential nutrients for their stage of development.
  • There are some 'homemade' Feed recipes that can give you ideas of poultry nutritional needs at:
    http://www.birdfarm.bravepages.com/starterx.html and
    http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Recipes_for_homemade_starter_and_grower_chicken_feeds/

• Commercial Feeds: Each brand's feeds differ--check the feed bag to see for what age a particular feed is designed.
    • Chick Starter: Usually 0 trough 6-8 weeks (Check feed sack label)
      • Scientific formulation helps prevent Perosis (leading to Slipped Achilles Tendon) and other problems.
      • Has appropriate amount of Calcium for chicks. Very high levels of Calcium in some adult feeds (esp. Layer feed) can cause problems.
    • Starter / Grower: Usually birth through laying age
    • Grower / Finisher: Usually 10 through 18 weeks of age
    • Layer Feed: For hens of laying age (4-6 months and older)
    • Breeder Feed: For roosters and hens of breeding age (6 months and older)
      • Helps prevent birth defects in resulting offspring.
    • Scratch Feed: As a partial feed for mature birds (6 months and older)
      • Scratch Feed is NOT supplemented and is NOT suitable as a complete feed. It should NOT be fed free-choice, and should only make up about 10% of chickens' diet.
  • Essential nutrients include:
    • Calcium (in appropriate amount--Adult feeds can have too much calcium for chicks), Vitamin E, Selenium.
    • VITAMIN B IS VERY IMPORTANT for leg health. Just adding a Vitamin B Complex to a chicken's food will cure some leg problems.
  • Supplements
    • Supplements of vitamins, electrolytes and small amounts of sugar can help a struggling chick have the energy and nutrition to grow well, have energy, and better deal with the stresses of receiving treatment.
    • BE CAREFUL about giving supplements with minerals to chicks. Some minerals (especially calcium or iron) in excess can cause serious problems in chicks.
    • Supplements at a feed store:
      • Small pouch of vitamins and electrolytes supplement powder for poultry (~$5).
        • Caution: Some supplements don't taste good and a chicken won't eat as much if you sprinkle on food. Instead, stir into drinking water and chicken will usually drink fine. Only a tiny pinch is needed for about 3 cups of water.
      • Bottle of liquid Poultry Nutri-Drench for nutrition and energy. Excellent! (~$8)
    • Supplements at a grocery store:
      • Bottle of children's PolyVisol or other brand of liquid vitamin supplement without added Iron (~$4). Give 2-3 drops per day to a chick.
    • Supplements at a pet store:
      • Calcivet. Give 1-2 drops per day to a chick.
      • Baby parrot food. Powder to be mixed with water (Be sure to allow water to be absorbed before feeding

106200_hpim2591.jpg
HERE IS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO READ AND DO FOR THE AFFECTED CHICKS.

IE :
The rotated foot slips a lot when the chick tries to use it that way, so the chick will shift most of its weight onto the other straighter leg & mostly use that to support itself while standing, hopping along, or pushing itself along the ground. The chick may also push a wing out against the ground to help balance itself.
The chick usually shows problems in only one leg at first (the most rotated leg), but the straighter leg will also become deformed over time.
  • VERY, VERY IMPORTANT: Check your bird to see if it also is suffering from Perosis (which can relate to nutritional deficiencies) and a Slipped Achilles Tendon.
Spraddle Leg is usually started by slippery flooring such as newspaper, but can be caused by hatching problems, high incubation temperatures, a painful leg or foot injury, a Slipped Achilles Tendon, or too many baby chicks being crowded in the brooder while learning to walk.

Even chicks that are born perfectly normal physically can develop Splay Leg in a non-optimal situation. In a large number of cases, Spraddle Leg is not initially caused by physical abnormalities. Instead, it develops from a chick learning incorrect mental patterns about how to walk. The chick's body then develops deformities as the chick practices movements that become damaging.
  • THE BRAIN MUST LEARN ONLY CORRECT MOVEMENTS. You MUST prevent the chick from getting much experience at moving wrong or it will cement that movement in its brain and you won't be able to fix it.
    • When a chick is first figuring out how to move & walk, if normal movement efforts are unsuccessful or painful, the chick will experiment with alternate ways of moving. If it finds movements that are temporarily less painful or more effective, the chick will program its brain to move in the alternate ways, which are very damaging over time. This quickly builds habits which then cause muscles, ligaments and bones to become deformed by the unnatural positioning & pressures.

YOU NEED TO INCREASE YOUR PROTEIN LEVEL
AT HATACH. YOU ARE NOT GIVING THE CHICK THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF PROTEIN,
FROM HATCH. SO GO AND BUY SOME 16% PROTEIN CHICK FEED.
I HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS WITH YOUR CHICK PROBLEMS.

106200_hpim2591.jpg

YOUR LIST OF FEED YOU USE FORCHICKS
IE:I give them soya- beans ,bread, oaths, mixed cereal , multivit.
some information is this:

Animal feed protein sources include both plant and animal proteins.
The plant source of proteins include high-protein vegetable seeds
like soybeans, canola, cottonseed, flaxseed (linseed), coconuts,
oil palm, wheat, wheat germ, wheat bran, Wet brewer’s grain
and peanuts (groundnuts), corn, flaxseed and sunflower seeds.

Protein content in chicken feed ingredients

So you want to make a homemade starter/grower feed or a homemade layer feed, but you want to be able to mix and match some of the ingredients in a similar category. For example, you'd like to swap oats for wheat or fish meal for soybeans. How do you know how much protein the finished feed contains?

The chart below lists the percent protein in each of the main ingredients of chicken feed:

Ingredient Percent protein
Dried fish flakes 76
Dried liver 76
Dried earthworms 76
Duckweed 50
Torula yeast 50
Brewers yeast 39
Soybeans (dry roasted) 37
Flaxseed 37
Alfalfa seed 35
Beef, lean 28
Earthworms 28
Fish 28
Sunflower seeds 26.3
Wheat germ 25
Peas and beans, dried 24.5
Sesame seed 19.3
Soybeans (boiled) 17
Wheat bran and/or middlings 16.6
Oats, whole 14
Rice polish 12.8
Rye 12.5
Wheat 12.5
Barley 12.3
Oats 12
Corn 9
Millet 9
Milo 9
Rice, brown 7.5
Milk 3
Whey 29 - 89​

It's easy to determine the percent protein of your finished feed using this chart. For a 100 pound recipe, just multiply the percent protein of each ingredient (as a decimal) by the pounds of that ingredient in your recipe. For example, if you add 30 pounds of oats you would multiply by 0.14 and come up with 4.2. Add up the resulting numbers for each ingredient, and you have the percent protein of that batch of chicken feed.

If the percent protein in a recipe is too low, maybe you should back off on the ingredients at the lower end of the chart and increase the ingredients at the upper end of the chart. For example, cut back on corn and increase your soybeans. Soon you'll be making your own recipe using the ingredients on hand!

Once you've got the right proportions of food for your chickens, be sure to keep them healthy with our automatic chicken waterer.

As long as it isn't swollen to the point of broken skin, then she has a chance. Just make sure to recheck every couple days because with chicks growing so fast you don't want it to get tight. Also, I have read to give a liquid vit B complex with niacin as sometimes this can be due, in part, to a deficiency. Good job, hope she makes a recovery!

Yes do this
ALSO USE MY WET MASH PROIOTIC RECIPE USING VIT E ND VIT B COMPEX.
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR A SINGLE CHICKEN.
IF CHICKEN IS MOULTING AND IS STRESSED DO THIS FOR ITS HEALTH:
ALSO IF TREATING SICK CHICKS OR ADULTS.
IE: WORMING, ANY TYPE DISEASE OR COCCIDIOSIS ETC:
Glenda Heywood now the
natural probiotic recipe is this:
1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1/4 cup of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good.
do not make sloopy JUST WET AND CHICKENS WILL EAT IT BETTER.
chickens do not like sloppy feed AS IT STICKS ON THEIR BEAKS.

ADULT CHICKENS
NOW THE IMPORTANT INGRIEDIENT FOR EACH CHICKEN FED.
and add 1- 400 mg of Vit E (PER CHICKEN FED WET MASH PROBIOTIC MIXTURE,
) by cutting the end off the vit E capsule for each chicken fed this wet mash.

ALSO ADD 1 VITAMIN B COMPLE TABLET OR PILL
CRUSH THE B COMPLEX PILL BEFORE ADDING TO THE WET MASH..
USE A TABLESPOON TO HOLD PILL IN AN CUSH IT FINE.

Putting the vitamin E & Vit B complex,in the wet mash,
and mix wet mash good to get vitamin E & Vit B in every chickens amount.

This for each chicken your treating.
So for each chicken use 4 tsp of mixture and 1-400 mg of Vit E & 1 Vit B Complex ,
twice a day for them till the birds feathers are grown out,
then just three times a week feed wet mash and ,

Cut back on the vitamin E to 400 mg once a week, and Vit B once a week.
and feed each chicken,
4 tsp full of the wet mash probiotic and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes,
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles,
IE: or each chicken your making wet mash probiotic for:
DO THIS:
4 tsp of feed and 1 tsp of the yoguart and just enough milk to mix it good not sloppy wet.
And add the 400 mg Vitamin E & Vit B once a week if not sick.
IF SICK feed 1-2 vit E 400 mg and Vit. B complex twice a day per chicken that is sick.

CHICKS RECIPE:
DO THIS:
IF CHICKS ARE SICK add a 1000 mg vitamin E Vitamn B Complex ONCE A DAY TO THE ABOVE:
ie: 1 QT OF CRUMBLES AND 2 QTS OF SOME KIND OF MILK,
AND 1/4 CUP PLAIN YOGUART.
(this is for any and all kinds of sickness )

ALSO IF TREATING CHICKENS WHO ARE SICK,
DO NOT put Apple Cider Vinegar in the water while giving medication.
OTHER WISE use 2 tabelspoons of ACV to the gallon when not feeding medication.

GLENDA HEYOOD
I USED THIS AND HAVE GIVEN THE RECIPE TO THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE
HERE, ON BYC OR MY POULTR Y NEWSPAPER National Poulty News,
WHICH WAS FINALL PUT TO BED ON 12-2005 DUE MY HEALTH PROBLEMS,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom