Update to FML

They will be able to get out of that pen, maybe you want that. I had an eight foot fence and some of my breeds would fly out (leghorns were especially nimble). You can get 4"x2" fencing at lowes for 70$ or so for 100' and it is really easy to cut and use on a pen. If you improve I would consider that type of wire.

Each bird as one of it wings clipped

I love to see things re-purposed. We gutted some old TVs and turned them into bachelor pads for our roos. We always seem to end up with more than we want, but haven't the heart to eat them, so they become pets. Sometimes they wear ankle-bands attached to "leads" (heavy cord), some are fenced, 3 are in with 2 Nigerian dwarf goat wethers. It is really something first thing in the morning around here, especially since I am a dyed-in-the-wool night owl;I can't help loving them anyway. Each little guy has his own unique crow and I love to hear them.

We have the cabinet for an old dryer turned into a hen-house. You'd think it would be too hot in summer, esp. since this is SC, but it isn't at all. We've had as many as 5 hens sleeping and laying in there, but only 1 right now. I think we're gonna move 4 barbu d'uccle roos (our girls got broody last spring) into the dryer, and give our silver-laced Wyandotte a new roomie, namely Val (short for Valerie Frizzle), an auction-house "hen".
Val started crowing the morning after the auction, but "she" was already named, so we just hope "her" language skills prevent any "miss"understanding. Sorry for all the corny puns;my DD would groan and roll her eyes at me.

We salvaged some boards from a neighbors trash pile, and are going to make some new hen houses, and a new bunny hutch. I'd like to have baby bunnies sometime this year. Our girls are about 1 1/2 and I don't want to wait too long. My DH wants to wait until Easter is long gone so no one will want them for Easter presents, since that doesn't often go very well. They're all cute and cuddly at first, but then they get bigger and need more care and seldom get it. I don't want to contribute to the problem.

I'm hoping to convert one of our old chicken runs into a "bunny run". I like to let them get out of their cages occasionally, but want them safe from hawks, etc. in case we can't be with them every minute.

Back
Top Bottom