UPDATE WITH PICS-POST #16 & #17- Long Wooden Feeders

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Can someone please tell me where can I find a long wooden feeder? I am having so much trouble with my chickens wasting feed and I need to get a different kind of feeder. I have about every feeder under the sun that man has created and I'm still searching for the "right" feeder. I am looking for a feeder that is about 3 feet long or longer and about 6 inches wide and it would have sections where my chickens can stick their head in and eat without scratching feed all over the place. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, please direct me to where I can go to purchase this for my chickens. I am spending a fortune on feed. I'm desperate for answers.

Last edited:
You could make your own. Then it would be exactly how you want it.
smile.png

I am not handy when it comes to making things. I wish that I were but I'm not, so any attempt to make anything would end up a nightmare for me and I would probably land up in the hospital with 2 fingers cut off. That would be an expensive ride to the hospital.
gig.gif

With that said this is where I'm at with this idea..............

The pic below kinda shows the area where the chickens eat. Although I have feeders in the chicken houses, I still need feeders for the chicken yard being as though the geese, ducks and turkeys have to eat as well. They all eat the same type feed. So picture this area and then picture long wooden feeders placed at different feeding stations.

This pic is not the exact area where they all eat but about 5 feet in front of these roosting stalls is where the feeding area is.
6612_feeding_area.jpg

I found these pictures on the internet and it looks like someone built all of these.
6612_feeder.jpg

6612_feeders.jpg

6612_chicken-feeder.jpg

This is kinda what I need to buy. It looks easy to make but I have no carpentry skills whatsoever. I would be lost trying to make something like this.

Do you think someone with no building skills can make something like in the pic?

Quote:
Yah, I do. It might not look as "polished" but it shouldn't be difficult.

I had none of those skills when I first attacked the build of my A-Frame coop. Then I built a second coop. Both took me forever... but I got 'em done. This is just cutting some short boards the same length, two end pieces alike, and nailing them together. Nice example, too!

I am having the same problem with wasted feed
sad.png
and was looking for the exact same kind of feeder that you are describing. I found the "Dura" brand trough feeders at Stromberg's. The feeders are listed under wall & trough style feeders on their website and come in two different sizes. They are made of Polyethylene and sound tuff and easy to clean. They are sort of pricey but so is wasted feed!!
lol.png
I plan to order a couple but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Hope this helps!?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I would try to make it and not be happy with my result. I found out that my boyfriend is a great woodworker so I talked him into making one for me. I now have too many chickens for the feeder I had. It has a trough at the bottom and comes straight up the back about 2 feet so I can fill it from the top and it gravity feeds to the bottom. He even put a lid on the top with a handle to lift it off. Its great, I hope you find what your looking for or maybe a handy person to make one for you.

Oh just to mention, I was going to buy a small goat feeder at the farm store. It is like a trough and has a bracket to screw it to the wall. It would save feed by not being low enough to scratch in it and it was only $15.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom