UPDATE WITH PICS-POST #16 & #17- Long Wooden Feeders

Quote:
I thought the same thing about the roosting part. I'm hoping that mine won't do that but I will keep you posted if they use it to roost on. I sure hope not.
hmm.png

Should be an easy fix for that... maybe that anti-pigeon roosting, pointy wire stuff they put on buildings? Attached down the top of the feeder? That would make it look pretty odd, but should work.

My chickens don't try to roost on them they are small at top be hard for a chicken to roost on them would have to stand on 1 leg :Dbut they make great feeders..
smile.png

Quote:
Update on your question.......It has been almost 2 weeks and the feeders are working WONDERFUL!!! I am soooo happy. To respond to your concern about the birds roosting on the feeders...... Just to let you know, there has been absolutely NO roosting on top of the feeders. I have over 100 chickens and if any were to roost on the feeders, at least 1 would have and none have roosted on top. This has been a PERFECT fix for me. There is absolutely NO waste at all. I am seeing a difference in the feed and it is not going as fast as it was before. If anyone is having the same problem that I have had, then I would strongly suggest this type of feeder.

RAIN GUTTER!!! I have a 10 ft. section of plastic gutter on the ground with bricks in the ends to weigh it down a bit and to stop feed from spilling out the ends. I think I might cut it in half and put it under the truck cap that I use to give them some shelter from wind and rain. AND to keep the feed dry.

oops. but I love your wooden ones! What do you do in "fowl" foul weather though?

Last edited:
Quote:
Update on your question.......It has been almost 2 weeks and the feeders are working WONDERFUL!!! I am soooo happy. To respond to your concern about the birds roosting on the feeders...... Just to let you know, there has been absolutely NO roosting on top of the feeders. I have over 100 chickens and if any were to roost on the feeders, at least 1 would have and none have roosted on top. This has been a PERFECT fix for me. There is absolutely NO waste at all. I am seeing a difference in the feed and it is not going as fast as it was before. If anyone is having the same problem that I have had, then I would strongly suggest this type of feeder.

THANK-YOU so much for the update!!
big_smile.png
I'll show the picture of the feeder to my husband and as soon as he finishes the chicken house addition, maybe he can build a couple of feeders. Poor guy! He is always working on my never ending chicken projects!!
tongue.png

Quote:
I keep an eye out for the weather. I have always just picked up the feeders and placed them in the chicken house when I know bad weather is coming. All of my chicken houses have feeders and waterers in them, so when their is foul weather, all of the birds and ducks run for cover in the other houses/shed/stalls. All of the animals are conditioned to go in the other areas if the feeders are not out in the chicken yard. They will eat and drink in those covered areas. Pics below show the areas where feed and water is kept at all times in the event of foul weather.

6612_feeding_area.jpg

6612_chicken_house_new_roosts.jpg

6612_hanging_basket_roost.jpg

6612_nesting_boxes_with_chickens.jpg

6612_tin_house.jpg

this is the one my BF made for me, kind of along the same idea but will store food for a couple days. Its 3 feet long and my 13 dont fight for a place to eat anymore. But the 5 youngsters are roosting on top so I have to fix that problem and I think make some new roosts.

5945_pic11030021.jpg

I know you have already fixed your problem but just for next time and others who are reading this, what i have are the long metal feeders with the holes in them to feed out of. But what one of my dads customers told him and i found it works great is to hang your feeders. So they are high enough for them to eat out of but they cant scratch the food out of them. So far i haven't had wasted feed other than what i spill out. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom