Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
I really hope I'm giving the right medication but after reading this morning I seen where it says that Corid Is not an antibiotic, I have alot of Cockins ranging from 3 months to 2 yrs old they have been coughing and alil discharge from their nose but 2 of them have a swollen eye.Someone told me to give them corid so I've been putting 2 teaspoons in a gal of water .I have some noromycin 300 which is an antibiotic but I was afraid to give it to them.i just don't know what to do.none of them have blood in their poop and they are eating and drinking, I can hear wheezing in some of them

Go ahead and continue the Corid, it won't hurt. If they have a respiratory infection the Noromycin might help with that, so you can give that too.

Go ahead and continue the Corid, it won't hurt. If they have a respiratory infection the Noromycin might help with that, so you can give that too.
Can I put the Noromycin in their water or just give it to them orally.I have 2 small cochin's I guessing they weigh around 1 1/2 pds maybe 2 pds how much of the Noromycin should I give them?..I had some antibiotics that my Vet gave me for when my dog had an eye infection it's called Neomycin/Polymyxin B I did use alil and put it in the 2 cochin's that have the swollen eye.

I use Sulmet with Sulfadimethoxine as a back up if I can't get Sulmet. I always have it on hand for chicks so just use it for the peas.
If you give a chicken Sulmet, you can never ever eat the eggs or the chicken. Look at the directions, it says so clearly. DO NOT GIVE SULMET if you want to eat the eggs, EVER.

otoh, Corrid doesn't even have a withdrawal period specified. Corrid is a thiamine inhibitor, which the bug needs to reproduce. Corrid is a very smart drug with very low toxicity, and this is coming from a person who prefers organic and herbal medicine.

Sulmet is what I use if their coccidiosis doesn't respond to Corid. Always a good one to have!

-Kathy
If you give a chicken Sulmet, you can never ever eat the eggs or the chicken. Look at the directions, it says so clearly. DO NOT GIVE SULMET if you want to eat the eggs, EVER.

otoh, Corrid doesn't even have a withdrawal period specified. Corrid is a thiamine inhibitor, which the bug needs to reproduce. Corrid is a very smart drug with very low toxicity, and this is coming from a person who prefers organic and herbal medicine.

True, it's not approved for use in laying, but that does not mean that you can't eat the eggs if you observe a withdrawal period. Contact your vet for withdrawal time.
otoh, Corrid doesn't even have a withdrawal period specified
It is labeled for laying hens so zero day withdrawal when used as labeled.

True, it's not approved for use in laying, but that does not mean that you can't eat the eggs if you observe a withdrawal period. Contact your vet for withdrawal time.

I was misinformed about Sulmet-- it is NOT approved for laying hens but can be PRESCRIBED by a vet and apparently has a 21-day withdrawal, according to the information here below.

However, Sulmet only kills 2 of the 7 types of cocci, so Corid is a better medication because it kills all types. I have also succeeded in treating individual chicks with Kocci-Free, but only when I have them quarantined and can treat intensively.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...esticide-withdrawal-times-for-layers.1142760/:
Chicken owning friends.
This document will be of interest.
Note "lifetime withdrawal" means never eat eggs from that hen again because of persisting residue OR lack of information on product in laying hens

Veterinarian who wrote this, referenced the FARAD website http://www.farad.org/

Common Egg Withdrawal Times in the US

LAURA CHAMBERLAIN PYLMAN·SATURDAY, AUGUST 1, 2015

Approved Products for Laying Hens

Amprolium (Corid) - No egg withdrawal when used at labeled dose
Permethrin (Permectrin II, ProZap, etc) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
Spinosaid (Elector PSP) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
Hygromycin B (as a feed additive at labeled dose) -No egg withdrawal
Nystatin (as a feed additive at 100g/ton) -No egg withdrawal

Not Approved (can only be used by veterinary prescription even when availabe OTC, consult your veterinarian for withdrawal times appropriate to your specific situation)
Ivermectin (any dose) -8 week withdrawal
Piperazine (Wazine) (label dose) -17day withdrawal
Oxytetracycline in water (800mg label dose) -14days for personal consumption, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
Tetracycline in water (Duramycin 10) (label dose) -14 days, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
Sulfamethazine (Sulmet) (full label dose) -21 days
Sulfadimethoxine (Albon) (label dose) -21 days
Tylosin injectable (Tylan) -8 weeks due to lack of studies
Tylosin orally -14 days at treatment dose (no withdrawal at approved feed additive dose)
Levamisole (Prohibit) -21days
Albendazole (Valbazen) -14days
Fenbendazole (Safe Guard) (10mg/kg x3 days) -17days
Pyrantel -8weeks due to lack of any studies showing elimination times in eggs

Not Allowed

All pesticides not specifically labeled. Pesticides are not allowed to be used extra label

Fipronil (Frontline) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
Carbaryl (Sevin) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
STRICTLY PROHIBITED -ILLEGAL TO USE lifetime withdrawal
Fluoroquinolones (Baytril, Cipro, etc)
Metronidazole (Flagyl) and other drugs in this family (Nitroimidazoles)
Chloramphenicol
Clenbuterol (ventipulmin)
Diethylsilbesterol (DES)
Glycopeptides (vancomycin,etc)
Nitrofurans (Furazone, etc)
Cephalosporins (excede, naxcel, etc)
Antivirals

Please do not remove this information. This is property of Chicken Vet Corner
written by Dr Pylman

Back
Top Bottom