UPDATED (Feb 3, 2012): Injured young hen [Warning: Graphic images.]

I'm not sure she needs oral antibiotics at this point. I see no signs of infection. If the wound doesn't smell funky, she may not need it at all. You have done a tremendous job with her. It's gonna be a task to reintroduce her to the flock and you may not be able to until spring and then it will be like integrating a new hen. I know you have concerns about her long term health and the part that concerns me most is the tail bone. I've never dealt with an injury like that and am not familiar first-hand with the ability of a chicken to heal. When she's healed enough, she may benefit from a long chicken saddle with a tail loop added to hold it onto her tail.... when she's ready. I'm totally impressed with her and her nurse!
love.gif

No pictures today, but I do owe you all an update. Kinda late though, eh? Sorry about that!

Lena is doing great! She was moved to a new 4x1 raised pen in December so that she could start her reintroduction. She started laying again a few weeks ago and for the past couple weeks she has only missed a day or two.

She is now in the 7x7 pen as of a week ago with the head rooster and a passive hen as the rooster had major frostbite and had to be separated from the flock for a week. The arrangement works great for all of them - rooster has hens to prevent frustration, Lena has some company who will do her no harm (she was going nuts when she was alone), and the other hen still gets to enjoy company of her fellows including those on the other side of the wire (everyone can see each other now).

When you look at Lena you'd never know what had happened unless you picked her up and felt her tail - there's still a tiny bit of bone still exposed. I'm now considering making or buying a special chicken saddle that covers her tail so that I can put everyone back together since everything is working out as I hoped.

clean it well with purple spray, which you can get from the vets and maybe give her some life guard to boost her and make her feel better

Back
Top Bottom