*UPDATED* Has anyone ever tried building one coop for roosting and another for nesting?

My coops include runs. They are out during the day with coop access whenever they want. The big coop has a 16x23 run. The 6x8 has an 8x10 run and the broody house has as small 5? X8 run.
We get cold temps and some years lots of snow. These are the times mine refuse to go out. Night is the crowded time for sure.

If you like you can list the materials you have on hand and the creative folks on here can help figure out how to proceed.

Wow thank you! I love how committed folks are on this website! 3 coops!?! What a dream come true!
Would you suggest I start a new thread with materials? We live on a farm, we like to call it "the compound". There are 2 huge shops and scrap piles of everything you can think of. Old tin, old fence posts, old cedar, old pallets, metal of all sorts. I did a walk about the other day and have a bit of the inventory in mind. My boyfriend is SO talented, but does not enjoy "wasting" time building me things for the girls. They key I think is getting his daughter in on the joy and desire too lol.

I would list materials on this thread. If you do not get much response then a new thread would be a good idea.

I LOL since the 3 are just the current ones. At one point there were 6. All 6 were removed so I could have the big house.... Then hubby felt bad for some hens and agreed to take them in.... No way will any bird go in my coop without quarantine. The 6x8 is his fault.
:lau

hahaha that is amazing! Quarantine is such a great idea! I immediately integrated my latest purchase without researching and pray everyday they don't have anything!! Plus I wish I had a chicken hospital and broody breaker in case I needed it!

If I had a magic wand....
Brooder with nest box to brood with hens and raise, 2 coops on each end of a beautiful run full of obstacle courses and chicken boredom busters, chicken quarantine/hospital/broody breaker and video cameras to check in on my girls at night! If only!

UPDATE:
Ideas for building a new coop/renovating with existing materials on the farm:
Pallets, fence posts, old cedar, tin scraps, metal scraps, old tires of various sizes, different types of fencing and so much more! I love the beautiful coops everyone has, but am working to make this habit as CHEAP as possible (i.e. we only buy chickens and feed)

Also, I have very minimal building skills and will likely do this project solo!

I will not judge your coop or reason it is what it is. If your chickens are healthy and you are happy thats all that matters.
You could make a wall about about six or eight feet over from your existing coop.then extend the roof and side walls.cut a huge hole in the wall between and Walaa! space
cool.png

You are not solo entirely. You have all of us to get great ideas and problem solving ideas from.
Graph paper and a number two pencil time!!!!
List out every pallet and dimensions as well as how many posts size and metal or wood. Keep that list running for every piece of material you have. Also look at the condition and board placement on pallets. Some may look like they may work but end up being rotted to far or just wrong dimensions.
Share that list here so we know just what you have to work with.

Also FWIW. I have used moldy wood before. I just use bleach to scrub after I have wet it. Then power wash it. and seal it with primer or wood stain.

In fact these boards used in this door were almost entirely black before just power washing........

The cedar stained up dark but the door panels came out pretty light. And don't pay attention to the half logs siding. If it was not already payed for and left over after building our house I sure as heck would not have used that.

Scott

I will not judge your coop or reason it is what it is. If your chickens are healthy and you are happy thats all that matters.
You could make a wall about about six or eight feet over from your existing coop.then extend the roof and side walls.cut a huge hole in the wall between and Walaa! space  :cool:

Haha thank you for that grace!! Now that's my kind of project! Sounds very doable!

You are not solo entirely. You have all of us to get great ideas and problem solving ideas from.
Graph paper and a number two pencil time!!!!
List out every pallet and dimensions as well as how many posts size and metal or wood. Keep that list running for every piece of material you have. Also look at the condition and board placement on pallets. Some may look like they may work but end up being rotted to far or just wrong dimensions.
Share that list here so we know just what you have to work with.

Thank you for the support! I am so grateful! I will have to take some time to do that inventory and get it on here!

Back
Top Bottom