*UPDATED* Has anyone ever tried building one coop for roosting and another for nesting?

New coop basic layout and design. Will have 56 square feet!

The coop is tall enough to walk in and is 8 ft by 4 ft with 3 nesting boxes sticking out the back. We like the lay out because we can pick it up with the skidster and rotate it from place to place. We went from 6 chickens to 12 and the coop feels WAY too small. The coop is currently not fit for all of those girls and they struggle to find comfortable roosts. (I know that needs updated badly)

Could adding a second layer of flooring count as adding square footage for our growing flock? We may end up having up to 20 hens if my habit keeps up! I truly want to scrap the whole thing and start over, but I am afraid my boyfriend will leave me if I do.
wink.png
He has made it very clear he doesn't want to spend anymore time on the coop, so it's all on me!

UPDATE: Ideas for building a new coop or renovating with existing materials on the farm:
Pallets, fence posts, old cedar, tin scraps, metal scraps, old tires of various sizes, different types of fencing and so much more! I love the beautiful coops everyone has , but am working to make this habit as CHEAP as possible (i.e. we only buy chickens and feed)

Help is greatly appreciated!!

The answer is pretty clear to me, boyfriend has to go.

Good luck

Gary

Good luck

Gary

Haha he'd be gone if he didn't start my mania to begin with! Half of my chickens are actually his chickens. I think he secretly loves them too. He walked through my sketches with me piece and piece and is going to help do most of he carpentry. I think he feels like he has to pretend to dislike my new found hobby.

Good luck

Gary

Gary took the words right out of my mouth! I'm glad to hear that he's coming around though!

I feel very lucky as my boyfriend helps me with everything I need for my chickens, even though I know he thinks I'm nuts.

He has extended our run twice, and is going to again in another month. He turned our shed into a coop, built me a chicken tractor for my chicks, found me an emergency generator when our power went out during incubation... and now there is a brooder with chicks and an incubator running in his brand new office.
gig.gif

Gary took the words right out of my mouth! I'm glad to hear that he's coming around though!

I feel very lucky as my boyfriend helps me with everything I need for my chickens, even though I know he thinks I'm nuts.

He has extended our run twice, and is going to again in another month. He turned our shed into a coop, built me a chicken tractor for my chicks, found me an emergency generator when our power went out during incubation... and now there is a brooder with chicks and an incubator running in his brand new office. :gig

Oh my goodness that is amazing!! Haha it's amazing how loved a gal can feel when her man cares for her chickens :lol: I just always remind him he started it and I was the on who didn't like them in the beginning. Now I'm obsessed!! I have added 11 to the flock in the past month haha and he has stuck with me through it all!

ChxLadyCass, you've come a long way. I am so glad you're no longer going to be building the new coop alone. Your plans look terrific. It's encouraging me as I figure out my own frugal coop.

Thank you! As someone said early in this thread, I am never alone because I have my good friends at BYC! In total it's looking like I'll spend $75 on the entire new coop, but considering it will allow me add up to 6 more chickens to the flock comfortably, I feel really good about that! We could be scrapping it together for free, but since my boyfriend has carpenter experience he really insisted we do it right and I build my dream coop! I've spent way too much on chickens this month, I'll admit, but the benefits will be reaped for months and possibly years to come!

Back
Top Bottom