UPDATED! How bad is this?

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
UPDATE: pic posted below!

She has bumblefoot. Leg and foot is swollen and warm. Last 2 days I have soaked in epsom salt and wrapped with vet wrap and antibiotics spray/ointment. She is eating and drinking like normal.

What else should I do other than vet call.

**Pic is from when I first found it. Today will be day 3

Thanks

Attachments

• 52ED5C37-C934-4435-ACB3-639F09707D76.jpeg
    52ED5C37-C934-4435-ACB3-639F09707D76.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Pic is above! Thanks
Have you tried to work out the scab at all? Hopefully the infection in her foot is close enough to surface level that you don't need to cut into it to pull it out, but bumble foot is a small kernel of infection inside the foot that has scabbed over and the kernel needs to be removed so the foot can heal.

Have you tried to work out the scab at all? Hopefully the infection in her foot is close enough to surface level that you don't need to cut into it to pull it out, but bumble foot is a small kernel of infection inside the foot that has scabbed over and the kernel needs to be removed so the foot can heal.
Ok, how do I remove it? So on the top of that large bump?

Ok, how do I remove it? So on the top of that large bump?
Wherever the scab is is where I would start. After a good long soak you can try using tweezers and seeing how easy it is to start removing. It might take a few days and soaking sessions in between before you get it all. I had a chicken with bumble foot, pretty mild case because I caught it early, but it took about 4 days of soaking, working out the infection, and wrapping her foot until it was gone.
Do you have a small dry space you can keep her until it's resolved? Since the foot is going to get opened up you'll want to wrap it and keep her area as dry as possible to keep any debris out.

Wherever the scab is is where I would start. After a good long soak you can try using tweezers and seeing how easy it is to start removing. It might take a few days and soaking sessions in between before you get it all. I had a chicken with bumble foot, pretty mild case because I caught it early, but it took about 4 days of soaking, working out the infection, and wrapping her foot until it was gone.
Do you have a small dry space you can keep her until it's resolved? Since the foot is going to get opened up you'll want to wrap it and keep her area as dry as possible to keep any debris out.
Yes I do have a dry spot for her! Thank you!

Update. 🤢. Soaked and this came off with tweezers. Sprayed with antibiotic spray, sprayed the cotton ball down and added ointment, wrapped with vet wrap. Anything else? How long does wrap need to stay on? Thanks!

Attachments

• 56501DC9-422E-4922-9C9C-F0046BF9D49C.jpeg
    56501DC9-422E-4922-9C9C-F0046BF9D49C.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 6
  • D9DF9700-02AB-460F-BD91-7342F2B32428.jpeg
    D9DF9700-02AB-460F-BD91-7342F2B32428.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 6
Update. 🤢. Soaked and this came off with tweezers. Sprayed with antibiotic spray, sprayed the cotton ball down and added ointment, wrapped with vet wrap. Anything else? How long does wrap need to stay on? Thanks!
That's a pretty good chunk of the infection. Change the wrap every 24 hours (48 at most) and when you do reapply the antibiotic spray/ointment. Once you get the infection out as long as you keep it clean you should see daily progress.

Back
Top Bottom