UPDATED: Multiple deaths. Help Needed

ia02

Chirping
Aug 4, 2015
Greetings,

I'm new to chickens and have been having great fun with these girls, until recently. I started with a group of 5 chickens, about 2 weeks old. They are now 10 weeks old and I am now down to 3. I suspect I may be down to 2 by morning. The symptoms observed before the death of each bird are similar, but the time between the onset of symptoms and death is different. Below are all the relevant facts as far as I can tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading this long post, I wanted to try to present the whole situation.

I purchased the birds at approximately 2-3 weeks of age at a feed store. At the time of purchase I was told they were vaccinated for Marek's. I kept the birds inside until they were driving each other crazy indoors and they were physically large enough to safely be in the coop, maybe 6-7 weeks old. I then moved the chickens to the coop. The coop was inherited from the previous owner of my home. The previous owner had 3 adult chickens in the coop and free ranging in the yard. Prior to moving the chickens to the coop I cleaned it as well as I could without using chemical disinfectants. Replaced all bedding, scrubbed all food/water related items with soap and water.

A few weeks after being put in the coop I noticed one of the chickens acting odd. The bird was spending most of it's time away from the others, appeared a bit fluffy, had its head tucked often (neck not extended) and eventually was laying down a bit. The symptoms were intermittent though so I didn't think much of it. She was still drinking and I assume she was still eating. This went on a few days until one evening I found her dead. Based on the research I've done I suspected coccidiosis, although the chicks have been on medicated starter feed since they were a day old. At this time the remaining chickens showed no symptoms whatsoever.

Fast forward a week or two and a second chicken starts acting the same way. One morning I found her separated from the others, laying down, head tucked and a bit fluffy. I quickly recognized the same symptoms as the first dead bird, plus a new symptom, labored breathing. Unfortunately this bird died less than 4 hours later. Total elapsed time between the bird appearing 100% normal with no symptoms and death was less than 20 hours.

Since the symptoms so closely resembled coccidiosis (except for an absence of bloody droppings) I decided to dose the remaining three birds with liquid Corid at 2tsp per gallon for 5 days. The remaining three chickens seemed fine for the next two to three weeks.

Now I have a third chicken acting similar to the two that died. She is a bit younger than the others, and has always been the lowest member of the pecking order. Even when she appeared healthy she was a mostly solo bird but is always responsive to humans. She ate well and drank well. She roosted at night and behaved mostly normal. She is an extremely personable and sweet chicken, my favorite. The only potentially concerning symptom would be she rarely stood tall, her head was often tucked. I interpreted this as a showing of submissiveness as she had no other symptoms.

The last few days I noticed her acting a bit less active, but thought maybe she was being picked on by the other dominant two or was just overheated. However, she has seemed a bit weak, perhaps slightly uncoordinated and here eyes were sometimes closed. Tonight I found her, head tucked, laying on the ground, very labored breathing. She was alert but still this is a drastic departure from her normal behavior. Based on this I suspect she may not be alive in the morning.

The remaining two chickens are completely asymptomatic, are growing very rapidly, are very active, etc. I have no reason to believe they are sick, but based on the rapid onset of death from symptoms they very well could be.

Any suggestions of how to proceed or what might be affecting these chickens would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to try to protect the remaining few as best as I can. Thanks so much.

Cliffs notes symptoms:

-the birds are all between 8 and 12 weeks old when they pass
-it has been very hot and humid here in St. Louis, I've done my best to keep the birds cool with fans and shade
-head tucked
-separated from other birds by choice
-laying on ground
-labored breathing
-do not stop drinking, not sure about eating
-one chicken had potential eye related symptoms (one closed eye)

Unfortunate Update:

As suspected, sick chicken #3 has died. At this point I am concerned about my two remaining girls. They appear healthy, are doing all the normal chicken behaviors, and exhibit none of the visual symptoms of the three sick birds. That being said they have undoubtably been exposed to whatever killed the first three so I am still worried.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
So sorry you are going through this. I have a few questions to better pinpoint the problem.

Does your coop have good ventilation?

At any time did they run out of water?

What does their poop look like?

Thanks for the reply @Outpost JWB

The coop ventilation could definitely be improved. It is built with wood slats rather than plywood so it's not a tight envelope by any means. That being said it has one door that leads to the run that is held open. Not ideal I know and I'll am looking into ways to modify the coop to improve the ventilation.

They never run out of fresh water. I have a one gallon watered inside the coop since the chicken who is currently showing symptoms likes to hang out in there. I also have a 3 gallon nipple waterer in the run. I changed both at least once a day, more often if they make a mess.

I have monitored their poop as well as possible. Most of it looks "normal" but I can't really tell which poop belongs to which chicken. I did see the chicken who is showing symptoms poop a day or two ago and I took note of it looking thin and consistently light brown. I would be tempted to call it diarrhea. I read up on the subject but really didn't get a definitive answer on whether this consistenc is abnormal for a young chicken in the hot summer.

Unfortunate Update: As suspected, sick chicken #3 has died. At this point I am concerned about my two remaining girls. They appear healthy, are doing all the normal chicken behaviors, and exhibit none of the visual symptoms of the three sick birds. That being said they have undoubtably been exposed to whatever killed the first three so I am still worried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE #2: after the death of the third chicken we cleaned the coop and put fresh bedding down. This morning I noticed there was another pile of diarrhea in the coop. So it had to come from one of the remaining two birds. The diarrhea was light brown in color. This was one of the symptoms of the sick birds.

Can anyone help me narrow down the cause of this?

@Outpost JWB I just checked the chart. I would say it was somewhere between the "oily and foamy" and "ceacal". So maybe nothing to worry about?

So if the droppings were normal, and were also normal for the dead chickens then where does that leave me? Any ideas?

Last edited:
@enola how frequently can chickens be treated for coccidiosis? I last treated about 2 weeks ago. Would you treat at full "severe outbreak" dosage (2tsp liquid Corid per gallon)?

Last edited:
Yes I would. Coccidia is a protozoa that is present in the chicken environment, even inside a healthy chicken. Stress causes the protozoans to get out of control and make the chicken ill.

If they are getting over heated every day they are being stressed over and over.

Back
Top Bottom