UPDATED: Multiple deaths. Help Needed

@Outpost JWB I just checked the chart. I would say it was somewhere between the "oily and foamy" and "ceacal". So maybe nothing to worry about?

So if the droppings were normal, and were also normal for the dead chickens then where does that leave me? Any ideas?

One of my vets said that foamy poop = protozoa, so in your case I would guess coccidia.

-Kathy

I really question some of those poops that are considered normal when I look at those charts. Over the years, I have noticed that when I start seeing loose or yucky looking stools, soon I will be seeing a chicken that just doesn't look 'right'. Usually worming straightens things out. Unless the poop is in a pen of young chickens, then Corid usually does the trick.

I really question some of those poops that are considered normal when I look at those charts. Over the years, I have noticed that when I start seeing loose or yucky looking stools, soon I will be seeing a chicken that just doesn't look 'right'. Usually worming straightens things out. Unless the poop is in a pen of young chickens, then Corid usually does the trick.

X2. That chart has some marked normal that are not normal in my flock.

-Kathy

Example... I used to think some of the cecal poop pictures were normal until i saw six at the feed store with them. Three of the six died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to Davis for necropsy. All three died from severe coccidiosis.

-Kathy

Thanks for all the help. I have separated the potentially sick chicken from the other healthier one. I understand this could cause some stress to one or both but I'm doing everything possible to limit any further casualties.

@Outpost JWB I was also thinking that this appears to be respiratory related. Based on some research I was thinking possibly MG or coryza. I have started the chicken on oral Baytril. Hopefully that will clear up the issue.

I will also continue the Corid as I still believe the underlying cause of all these issues is coccidiosis. We are currently on day 3 of 5. My vet says it is ok to give the chicken both medications concurrently.

We also checked out a fecal sample. It was clear of worms.

I will update again soon.

Last edited:
UPDATE....the fourth chicken (with the swollen face) is still with us. The swelling has increased somewhat, but is still contained between the nostral and the eye, and only on one side. I have administered 6 out of 10 doses of oral Baytril. I expected the swelling might have been reduced by now, but no luck.

It seems possible that the chicken hasn't gotten the full dose of each administration. I'm finding it difficult to give this bird drugs orally. She is a fighter. It also seems possible that the Baytril just isn't effective against whatever is causing the swelling.

Yesterday was the last of 5 doses of Corid.

The chicken is acting totally normal except for the swelling and occasional sneezing. She is still active, is eating and drinking, had plenty of energy and is very alert.

Any information or ideas about the swelling would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
@casportpony From memory it is .16ml two times daily for five days (10 total doses). It is injectable Baytril given orally. I can double check this amount when I get home after work. I believe the chicken was either .6 or .8 kgs. Does this seen appropriate?

I had high hopes that this would reduce the swelling and resparatory distress assuming the symproms were caused by MG, or Coryza which I suspected they were. As of this morning the swelling is still present and has not been reduced. The chicken definitely seems to be having some difficulty breathing but doesn't seem to be in dire condition. Still fairly alert and strong.

@casportpony I'm not sure. I can call the vet and ask.

Would this dosage be correct for one strength (but obviously not the other), or does it seem wrong for both strengths?

Back
Top Bottom