UPDATED new pic*PICS - Something on Rooster's Comb - PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CMTSMWC, Aug 9, 2011.

1. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I just noticed something on my rooster's comb this morning. The spot is a little rough to the touch but not bumpy. It is white around the edges and brownish red in the middle, it looks like a scab but has the texture of dry skin. I have been searching the internet all morning and can't find anything that looks like his. Any help would be appreciated please! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok here is a new picture of him:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I think it looks like a scab. Did he have a little tiff with one of his flock members?

3. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Not that I know of. It is strange because it looks like a scab but it isn't raised like one.

4. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Please anyone?? I just want to be sure it isn't something contagious to my whole flock! PLEASE HELP [​IMG]

5. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Are you able to get a picture that is right on the area? This looks like a scab that might have been picked by another chicken..but hard to tell without looking right at it...is it spreading out beside that one place?

6. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    I should be able to when I get home from work. I am getting ready to leave and I just took this picture real fast by myself. I will get someone to hold him for me. I will post back with a new picture soon!

7. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Anyone?? [​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    It is a scab. Chickens don't always have "raised" scabs like we do: in fact, many of my scabs aren't "raised". Don't worry about it unless it spreads! I have never heard of a contagious illness that begins with a scab on a comb... [​IMG]

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Could be fungal (circular shape and white edges). If so, over-the-counter lotrisone cream! He has girly eyelashes LOL.

10. CMTSMWC

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Well I have never had anything like this before and I was looking at favus and fowl pox (I know that it is neither of these) but I just didn't know what other things it could be or if it was something contagious since I have never dealt with this before.

Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by